Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#91819 - 04/09/05 09:55 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: Gileyd]
Drimlybunk Offline
CoS Member

Loc: California
I think fear is essential for survival. However as we've evolved to be more analytical than our anscestors we can be more picky about what we choose to fear. As I stated earlier, we fear the dark because our ancestors had a better chance of reproducing if they stayed out of it. As modern humans know that not all darkness is bad, however some dark places may still be wise to avoid. (For example, walking down a dark ally in an urban city at four in the morning is probably still asking for trouble, or sticking your hand down a dark hole which may have an animal in it.) Unfortunately however it is still instinct to fear the darkness in general despite what rational thought may conclude.

#91820 - 04/09/05 10:08 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: Drimlybunk]
JayeDemise Offline

People are scared of the dark because people are always scared of things they cant control. Its also impossible to accurately judge the true human responses to fear because what may scare you, may make me giggle...

#91821 - 04/09/05 10:44 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: uncleherpe]
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
Quote:

As to why some humans (not me-I actually see better in the dark) are afraid of the dark, perhaps it because they are generally raised in societies that teach children from a young age to associate "light" with "being saved","heaven" and/or "holiness" of some sort, by turn, associating "dark" with "Demons", "Devils" awnd other craetures of "the night" who might "harm" you.

No. Fear of the dark has nothing to do with spiritual or religious education. We fear the dark by instinct, not because we are told to. Most predators are nocturnal and some can see very well in the dark. We are primates, our ancestors must have lived in constant fear of the night, when the big cats and other hunters were searching for prey. In the light of day we have the advantage, because we walk on two legs and can see other animals coming, also we have our hands free to carry weapons. In the dark we can't see well and the predator has the advantage.

Most religions and philosophies associate light with good and darkness with evil because of our fear of the dark... not the other way around.

#91822 - 04/10/05 02:44 AM Re: Why are people afraid of Daark? [Re: LatnIsSeiv]
RandomStranger Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Here.

Because the games Daark comes up with
are challenging and difficult?

of all the unemployed comedians...

#91823 - 04/10/05 05:31 AM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: LatnIsSeiv]
SubOptimo Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Germany
I think this is natural, thinking of our ancestors. Humans are highly dependent on their visual system. Now, imagine a human in a time, the only source of light was a torch and there were no firearms. So moving in open terretory at night simply was dangerous. Also resting, because a camp would draw attention from probably dangerous animals. Entering dark caves was dangerous too.

I suggest an experiment: Simply close your eyes and walk over a highway. This will deepen your understanding why humans are afraid of the dark.

#91824 - 04/10/05 05:45 AM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: NatassjaNoctis]
SubOptimo Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Germany
I guess I have to spell it:

We Satanists.

To Satanists: humans = animals.

Humans have emotions, leads to: animals have emotions.

Reduces
Remember that FEAR is a human emotion.
to
Remember that FEAR is a emotion.
Valid for vertebrates, at least.

Aussuming agreement to the fact that stones are not animals and therefore have no emotions, so they are logically not afraid of the dark, nor they are humans.

About the stories of good=light, bad=darkness I share the opinion of my best friend, he's a well educated stone.

#91825 - 04/10/05 09:56 AM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: LatnIsSeiv]
Grima Offline

Loc: Netherlands
We are still animals at heart, and we are the kind of animals that lived at day and were hunted in the night when we tried to sleep in our caves.
Although that is now some thousands of years ago and we evolved (not all of us however) these feelings still play a large part.
Children really can fear the dark, but when we grow up we tend to push back those feelings and tell ourselves that it is stupid and childish. But the fear never goes away, although I am not afraid in the dark normally, I do tend to feel 'chased' on a dark street when I am all alone. I know there is nothing to fear but deep inside there is a feeling of dread.
I own a large collection of animals and while some of them are nightly predators I also own birds and birds are terrified of the dark. If I walk past they start to panic like the world is coming to an end.
It's a normal biological thing for daylight-living animals to fear the dark and the predators that lurk within it. And man is just another animal.

#91826 - 04/10/05 10:17 AM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: LatnIsSeiv]
Satanya Offline
Banned

I have always been actually turned on by ghost stories and the like as opposed to fear them like most people. This might have been because I grew up in a spooky environment, so to speak. When venturing to the kitchen for a glass of milk some nights, it was a common occurrence to find a circle of old ladies sitting at a table by candle-light with witchy-boards trying to invoke the dead, "possessions", thanks to the Allan Kardec followers in my family, you name it---insert spookyness here, I have "seen" it.

People fear the dark and the unknown because it is in their nature to only accept things that they know, they also like to entertain their imagination into creating beasts of unimaginable sizes--people need fantasy in their lives, just most people need only fantasies in their lives, so anything that would put their fantasies at risk is a big no-no--if they find out there are no spooky ghosts out there, if they find out there is no Hell hereafter, it would be to them like giving up the excitement they have in their existence, some people need fear to live to that level. Fear is a healthy thing to experience, but to a logical level.

#91827 - 04/10/05 10:40 AM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: JayeDemise]
Alexey Offline

Loc: Russian Federation
Quote:

people are always scared of things they cant control.

But sometimes we like to scare. Basejumping, Parachute jumps from the plane is a situations, when you can't be sure in your safety. It's just example.
I think, people scare not uncontrolable situations, but they scare when can't control their fear.

#91828 - 04/10/05 10:48 AM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: Grima]
dragondancer Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Virginia
Quote:

But the fear never goes away, although I am not afraid in the dark normally, I do tend to feel 'chased' on a dark street when I am all alone. I know there is nothing to fear but deep inside there is a feeling of dread.

I would say that is a healthy fear, when alone on a dark street. Fear makes us more alert and aware ( more of those hold overs from the cave days)if we are afraid to some degree, then we will be able to react faster, the adrenaline is already pumping and our bodies are ready with the flight or fight reaction. I tend to listen to my instincts and let myself have some healthy fear instead of trying to push it away. If I don't need it, no harm done, if I do, then I am ready.

Hail Satan!
"It does take an exceptional mind and a still more exceptional integrity to remain untouched by the brain-destroying influences of the world's doctrines, the accumulated evil of the centuries-to remain human, since the human is the rational." Dr. Akston in Atlas Shrugged

"Not life, but good life, is to be chiefly valued." Socrates

Dragondancer
Temple of Vampire

#91829 - 04/10/05 12:20 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: dragondancer]
Gileyd Offline

Loc: Leeds, UK
Quote:

I would say that is a healthy fear, when alone on a dark street. Fear makes us more alert and aware ( more of those hold overs from the cave days)if we are afraid to some degree, then we will be able to react faster, the adrenaline is already pumping and our bodies are ready with the flight or fight reaction. I tend to listen to my instincts and let myself have some healthy fear instead of trying to push it away. If I don't need it, no harm done, if I do, then I am ready.

Some good points dragondancer, but I think I disagree with you. Yes fear prepares you, but it also plays tricks on you and makes you act irrationally. As for "healthy fear", the adrenaline puts unneeded stress on your heart, it even induces heart-attacks in the elderly and people with weak hearts.

So I do feel it is important to condition yourself to what is appropriate to fear and what is not.
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me. - The Sith Code (George Lucas)

#91830 - 04/10/05 12:30 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: Old_Pig]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
Absolutely correct.

However, I do think the teachings, values, and beliefs of a given religion or culture can increase or decrease an individual's natural fear of the dark.

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#91831 - 04/10/05 02:10 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: Gileyd]
dragondancer Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Virginia
Quote:

Some good points dragondancer, but I think I disagree with you. Yes fear prepares you, but it also plays tricks on you and makes you act irrationally. As for "healthy fear", the adrenaline puts unneeded stress on your heart, it even induces heart-attacks in the elderly and people with weak hearts.

So I do feel it is important to condition yourself to what is appropriate to fear and what is not.

Yes, what you say is true. I think though, that if it is not a regular occurrence; it is a good thing to pay attention to your senses when you are in a situation that makes you a bit fearful. The example that was mentioned; walking alone on a dark street, would be I guess, considered the situation "appropriate to fear". I for one, want that fear to tell me to be alert and aware in such a situation and the adreline probably isn't going to do any permanent damage if it is not, as I said, on a regular basis. When I am old and frail, you can be sure that I, like most elderly people, will avoid putting myself into these situations as much as is under my control.

As for acting irrationally, you are probably talking about more than just a sense of dread, or a "healthy" fear. I think you are at that point talking about fear that takes over your body and your brain, more like panic. That is an individual reaction, I don't think everyone acts irrationally when they are fearful, though certainly some do, and what causes panic in some people might be just a mild sense of dread to others. So, while I agree with you, I think you are talking about something a little more extreme then what I meant.

Hail Satan!
"It does take an exceptional mind and a still more exceptional integrity to remain untouched by the brain-destroying influences of the world's doctrines, the accumulated evil of the centuries-to remain human, since the human is the rational." Dr. Akston in Atlas Shrugged

"Not life, but good life, is to be chiefly valued." Socrates

Dragondancer
Temple of Vampire

#91832 - 04/10/05 08:11 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: LatnIsSeiv]
HadesCitizen Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Hellas
Because they can't see

Hellenic Black Metal Art

#91833 - 04/10/05 10:23 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: LatnIsSeiv]
Bugbear Offline
CoS Member

Fear of the dark is instinctual. Google "The Principles of Psychology" by William James. Not only will it answer your question, but also shows how reason can conjure a balancing or overpowering instinct such as ferociousness, in response to fear. Mr James goes on to show a bias between the sexes in regards to fight or flight, it's an interesting and thought provoking read.

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Forum Stats
12164 Members
73 Forums
43923 Topics
405752 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements