Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#91834 - 04/11/05 04:40 AM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: LatnIsSeiv]
darkangel1210 Offline

Loc: England
I never have been a person to be completely afraid of the dark, but I am still wary. It's down to instinct I think. Just because I'm not totally afraid doesn't mean that I'm not going to be alert to any possible dangers, even if it is in my own garden.

When it comes to horror films the only film so far that has made me physically freeze in bed has been 'the grudge'. You know that scene with the bed??? Scared the shit out of me! I kept on thinking I'd see this lump crawling up through my covers after I'd first seen the film. But I know that it isn't real and now it's one of my favourite scenes. Again it all comes down to POV as well. I love a good scare but I don't go around checking the closet for an attic door or root through my bed to make sure that nothing comes up from underneath it. A complete waste of valuable sleeping time! (Sorry if that went a bit off topic by the way).
What does not kill me, makes me stronger - Friedrich Nietzsche Man is the cruelest animal - Friedrich Nietzsche Governments should be afraid of their people, not people of their governments - V, 'V for Vendetta'

#91835 - 04/11/05 08:25 AM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: Gileyd]
Grima Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Indeed when your fear starts to control you, it is just as dangerous as the real danger. Most people really put themselves in mortal danger by acting solely on their fear alone.
I think you should listen to your instincts but must also keep a rational mind at the same time, something you can only learn from experience.

#91836 - 04/13/05 05:11 AM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: darkangel1210]
Hydroksyde Offline

Loc: New Zealand
Hadn't happened to me in a while, but after reading H. P. Lovecraft's "The Rats in the Walls", i had nightmares that some guy was going to come and eat me

#91837 - 04/13/05 05:39 AM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: Hydroksyde]
oggi Offline

Loc: Finland
Quote:

Hadn't happened to me in a while, but after reading H. P. Lovecraft's "The Rats in the Walls", i had nightmares that some guy was going to come and eat me

And that did scare you? In dreams I can see when it is true and when not. I have feared in one dream in past few year, and what I feard in that was truth, it was dream, just dream... I like more to be tortured in dream than enjoy dream.

#91838 - 04/13/05 11:58 AM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: HadesCitizen]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
>>Because they can't see

That's what somebody already already said in the very first reply.

But there's more to it than that. As Pig pointed out, there's some hard-wired biological stuff going on. Another thing, which I haven't seen anybody mention yet, is that when one is in a dark place, he or she is typically alone. Movie theatres and dance clubs are dark, but you don't find people being afraid of the dark there. There are people around and the mind's focused on entertainment.

When you're in a dark room with no other people, there are usually much less distractions. Combine that with not being able to see, and you quickly pick up on sounds that you normally wouldn't have heard or at least paid much attention to during the day. Stairs and walls may creak by themselves ("things that go bump in the night") due to changes in the wood's humidity as the temperature is cooler at night. It can all add up to a mind that panics and makes up self-deceiving explanations for what's "there".

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's ‹bersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#91839 - 04/13/05 12:21 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: Gileyd]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
>>>I'm not scared of the road or a car [Gileyd]
>>
>>But you will be scared of the car once it
>>barrels towards you at 80 miles per hour
>>and you can't get away in time. [Hazel]
>
>Probably, but I won't known that till I'm in that
>situation [Gileyd]

What?!? I know I'D be afraid of a car coming directly at me at 80mph, if it looked any bit unlikely that I could be out of its way in time. And the reason I know it is because I value my life and I know what a ton of moving steel can do to a 170lb human. I sure as hell don't need to put that to the test in order to be "sure". I am fucking sure.

"Shouldn't we be afraid of SOME things though? Like, tigers?" - Penn Jillette

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's ‹bersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#91840 - 04/13/05 12:36 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: LatnIsSeiv]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
I was afraid of the dark as a child. There were a lot of anxieties in my home because it was not a stable environment.
I am not now afraid of the dark. I love the dark. I find the dark relaxing.
I am unaffected by ghost stories, because there are no ghosts.
The only movie that has given me the wiggins lately is The Eye.

What free gift do we get for filling out this questionnaire? There is always a free gift.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#91841 - 04/13/05 02:20 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: LatnIsSeiv]
IronCrafter Offline

Loc: A Harsh Reality ,Wa USA
When I first began to look at the emotion of fear,it struck me that it had great power. I steeped outside of myself a bit, and looked back inside.

I began to push the bottons usually only acessed by those influences that came from without......hmm,this one makes me do that,etc.....I began tracing the roots to sources.

Some of them went back surprisingly far,and yes-some were valid in a self preservation context.....Others were from lies, and my own insecurities. Those that were from lies lost power, as soon as they were uncovered as such.

Ultimmately, I realized that the biggest fears came from a sense that we might *lose* a thing we hold dear.

THINGS....hmm,and I drew up a Hierarchy of *things* in my life that were important to me. Me,and my core values.

My connections to others....material objects,personal likes and dislikes.......I gained internal clarity. What is the dark? The unknown, or unknowable.

A place where our vision fails us,and we cannot see. Here lurks fear. I learned to find solace in not knowing-it can be a blessing. To feel the possilities of completion in the ebony touch of night. Instead of the loss, that I could not see the safe little world I had created.

And far down, deep inside, in that place where so many of us keep that vat of acid that corrodes our being,I made a crack in the vessel.

Peace....

HS! Crafter
"Life is an objective-achieve it." "Be who you are and say what you feel,because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr Suess My home page featuring my work can be found here. HS! Crafter

#91842 - 08/18/06 02:09 AM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: IronCrafter]
nightryde Offline

FEAR is a powerful emotion. in excess quantity it trumps all other emotions; you lose your sense of rationale, belief. after watching a scary movie (being feed an excessive amount of emotional fear.. for me it better be a pretty fucking scary film) then walking into the dark your brain begins triggering thoughts of preposterous ideas.. like the thing you just was in the film coming out of the dark. this is when FEAR has invaded your other emotions.

#91843 - 08/18/06 11:12 AM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: ]
Dark_Adept Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: High Hades
I'm still laughing even as I'm typing this. Damn.. fear of the dark?What man fears he destroys. No wonder I feel compelled to start throwing punches in the dark....What I fear I destroy!

#91844 - 08/19/06 04:21 AM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: Dark_Adept]
Rene Offline

Loc: Denmark
Quote:

What man fears he destroys.

Hmmm... that would explaine mans compulcive behavior for putting streetlamps ewerywere!!!...

Seriosly... i think that fear (as in a sense of knowing whats dangerus for us) is a survival skill man still needs today. I see our childish fear of monsters in he closet and in the shadows as a result of our upbringing, what we are taught and told by our parents and other "grownups" around us when we are kids. This is then further enhanced by school material, religius upbringing, stories, movies and books throuout our youth.

Modern man is, as a hole, in the position where he nolonger need to fear the predetory animals, the enviroment in witch he lives and "the dark". (Exept in special cases, like violence or assult from others, ect....) We still need to respect these aspects, as in "if i stand too close to the edge i might fall over the cliff" sort of thing. And that is what i call common sense.

Fear, taken to an extreem truely paralyses a person. I have seen this behavior in my self and in others several times in stressfull situations. In these cases i have witnessed that when the fear sets in, the people involved, (me included), would ether panic and go into shock in some form. Therby letting the fear render them paralysed and helpless. Or they would accept the fact that they were wery afraid and therfor focus intensely on the job at hand to steer them out of the situation and out of danger. In this case, i found that fear, when handeled objectively, was a strong motivator for survival.

(noone in any of these cases was in serios mortal danger, but when you find yourself in over your head, it feels overwelming in any case.)

In any case... i recomend anyone a healthy dose of adventure experienses in ther daly lives, it changes them.

Keep your guardian angle on her toes!

Edited by Rene (08/19/06 04:23 AM)
Television is there to keep you impedent. Television is like taking black paint to your eyes. (Bill Hicks.) I need no pendants round my neck, nor any signs on my wall. My true power is my ability to listen to my deepest desires, and see them forfilled...

#91845 - 08/19/06 07:46 AM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: LatnIsSeiv]
shadowraven213 Offline

when i was going through a rough time in my life the night time offered me a place of safety from the hardships of the day and the best place i found to hide or to think was the graveyards as most people wouldnt go in there at night it was some of the only times ive been truly alone to think and to relax not once did i feel scared because i understood that people are afraid of what they dont fully compredhend and most people will say this is true of death and the darkness i knew this and capitalised on it to my advantage so i know what people where afraid of in the dark because i was once it

#91846 - 08/19/06 12:59 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: LatnIsSeiv]
chimera Offline

Loc: Sacramento, CA U.S.A.
I'm not afraid of The Dark, I'm worried about what's In the dark. Of course, I'm in the dark also, so mayhaps they should be afraid also...

#91847 - 08/19/06 01:12 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: LatnIsSeiv]
JustinR Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Newfoundland, Canada
I suppose some people have a fear of the dark because they're afraid of the unknown. Who or what is lurking in the dark? Personally, I've never be afraid of the dark, even as a kid. Actually, I'd much rather be sitting alone in a dark room, as opposed to being blinded by sunlight in my living room.

Fear of the dark can be fairly common in children, but I think most kids outgrow it at a young age. I don't know of any adults that are afraid of the dark, although I'm sure there are quite a few.

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking." - General George S. Patton

JustinR on The Undercroft

#91848 - 08/19/06 01:27 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: LatnIsSeiv]
Easy Offline

i don't think that it is the DARK people are afraid of - it's the UNKNOWN. every animal fears the unknown.

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Forum Stats
12098 Members
73 Forums
43863 Topics
405469 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements