Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#91864 - 08/27/06 12:11 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: princeofdarkness]
The_Lightning Offline

Loc: Israel
Quote:

The way I see it is, life is to short to be fearing anything, live for the moment!

If you are fearless.. you're in deep shit.
Fear is motivating- if I wasn't to fear death, I wouldn't bother "living for the moment" since there is nowhere to rush… One should be afraid- just rationally and productively.

#91865 - 08/27/06 12:29 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: StabAvery]
The_Lightning Offline

Quote:

When I was about 12-13 years old I remember trying to look at this situation rationally and I went down there with the lights off and laid in the middle of the floor and waited for "it" to do whatever non-existent "it's" do. Nothng happened. I have never had a fearful feeling in the dark since.

That's the best thing one can do- just face his irrational fears rationally and get it over with. This might be more complexes to some than others- but it's worth getting rid of.

I am a totally nocturnal being- from the day I was born I preferred the night. There is no time I can concentrate better on myself than during the night. But I guess it's a combination of my low-blood pressure and my attention disorder that really make me resent the hot, crowded day-time.
Anyway, the only reason I fear the dark is because cockroaches seem to like it.

#91866 - 08/27/06 12:43 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: princeofdarkness]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
>>The way I see it is, life is to short to be fearing
>>anything, live for the moment!

Here's a response I wrote about 16 months back, before this thread was needlessly resurrected by "nightryde" (which I guess was his only purpose in being here, since that's the only post he ever made).

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#91867 - 08/28/06 03:50 AM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: The_Lightning]
princeofdarkness Offline

Loc: England
>>>If you are fearless.. you're in deep shit.

Why? because I am not scared of fear, fear is just an emotion and for those who do not know how to control it are the one's in deep shit, the world we live in is now controlled by fear and if you are afraid of the dark then there is little chance you will survive out in the real world. Why should I let fear control my life it should be me in control of my emotions, because fear can stop you doing all sorts of things that you have wanted to do in your life, for example if you are scared of heights then you are never going to bungee jump unless you control fear and possibly staring death in the face is a huge rush of adrenaline.

#91868 - 08/28/06 05:55 AM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: princeofdarkness]
The_Lightning Offline

HOWEVER, you are not fearless… you are just not fearful. Big difference there.
Being "fearless" (a deviant state of mind) is what makes people do really stupid things and get themselves killed.

And anyway, I wrote:
Quote:

One should be afraid- just rationally and productively.

Try reading my whole post before you respond.

#91869 - 08/28/06 06:04 AM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: LatnIsSeiv]
_Aveth_ Offline

Fear of the dark?
Fear of the unknown...fear of the Inner Self

#91870 - 08/29/06 05:54 AM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: The_Lightning]
princeofdarkness Offline

Loc: England
You are not seeing my point of view and that is that I don't care about the fact that I may die doing a stupid thing like living my life the way I wish to live it, that's by setting myself challenges that challenge my emotions (fear), it's up to you how you live yours but don’t criticise others that wish to live life to the EXTREME!!

Quote:

One should be afraid- just rationally and productively.

BULLSHIT , you should never be afraid not even rationally, (in my opinion) fear gets you nowhere.

Live life to the full!!

#91871 - 08/29/06 06:41 AM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: princeofdarkness]
Easy Offline

fear is a self-protection. without fear, we were going to jeopardise ourselfs. the key is to control these emotion - overcome it when it's hindering, and listen to it when it's advisable.

#91872 - 08/29/06 12:09 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: Easy]
Zaria Offline

Loc: Canada
I dont find the dark scary so much as not being able to see what's around me. But personally I like to sit in the dark, if someone wants to come kill me or rape me then they're goin to do that whether im scared of it or not.

#91873 - 08/29/06 07:33 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: princeofdarkness]
The_Lightning Offline

Look- my point was that people need fear; fear is a good emotion when rationally utilized for your benefit. Is that clearer?
I agree that we shouldn't fear doing things that are good for us, I'm just saying that fear essential.
I agree being petrified and unable to live because of strong fear is counterproductive and unnecessary…
The "adrenaline rush" you get out of doing something dangerous is a side effect of subconscious fear. Fear becomes fun when you are doing something you rationally find pleasant and productive. There is definitely "good fear" and "fun-fear"- but it is basically still fear.
A total lack of fear, I think, occurs only when the subconscious is occupied by such emotional misery- that it fails to evoke the right reaction of fear when one is facing a life-threatening situation. Depressed people don't fear death.

#91874 - 08/30/06 01:25 AM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: _Aveth_]
Foxy_Ramirez Offline

Loc: Lawrence, KS
Don't over analyze it. People have good reason to be afraid of the dark. Because usually people like us are in it.

#91875 - 08/30/06 05:21 AM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: The_Lightning]
Easy Offline

@The_Lightning : ack, it wouldn't be that funny to be in a rollercoaster if you wouldn't be afraid at all! fear can make things more intressting.

Edited by VoDKa (08/30/06 05:22 AM)

#91876 - 08/30/06 09:56 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: LatnIsSeiv]
Revoluto Offline

Loc: Peru
I used to be afraid of the dark as a child (i think im not the only one) But after I had sex for the first time I wasnt afraid anymore. The dark now only remainds me of how much fun you can have when no one sees you

#91877 - 08/31/06 08:31 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: LatnIsSeiv]
leonor Offline

Loc: Portugal
Most of my paintings background is black. And it's very suggesting. You could plunge your arm inside. Or suddenly imagine a shape within. Dark can be anything. That's how I see it. Combine that with the creepy imagery of the stories you were told as a child and your own imagination..

Curiously enough, half-darkness and shades used to be scarier than complete darkness in my childhood. I remembered I hated open doors.

Consciously I'm no longer afraid of the dark, but I have this recurrent dream upon which no light can be ever turned on. Go figure…
Time does not imply evolution. Very true. We are stepping back. One generates haunting monsters that generate haunting monsters on an endless spiral of misunderstanding, unsolved needs, moral amulets eradicating both the sickness and the cure.
I see a bunch of men raging at the void, haunted by their own inventions. Absurd. Totally absurd.

#91878 - 08/31/06 08:36 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: leonor]
dragondancer Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Virginia
Quote:

Consciously I'm no longer afraid of the dark, but I have this recurrent dream upon which no light can be ever turned on. Go figure…

Well...the way I figure, you are not afraid of the dark, but of the light! Now that makes sense. It's those things that lurk in the light that bother me.

Hail Satan!
"It does take an exceptional mind and a still more exceptional integrity to remain untouched by the brain-destroying influences of the world's doctrines, the accumulated evil of the centuries-to remain human, since the human is the rational." Dr. Akston in Atlas Shrugged

"Not life, but good life, is to be chiefly valued." Socrates

Dragondancer
Temple of Vampire

Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Forum Stats
11895 Members
73 Forums
43649 Topics
404212 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements