Page 6 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#91879 - 12/02/06 02:55 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: dragondancer]
Evil_Eve Offline
CoS Member

Loc: 1313 Mockingbird Lane
Quote:

Quote:

Consciously I'm no longer afraid of the dark, but I have this recurrent dream upon which no light can be ever turned on. Go figure…

Well...the way I figure, you are not afraid of the dark, but of the light! Now that makes sense. It's those things that lurk in the light that bother me.

Hail Satan!

Indeed!

To see a 400 pound fundamentalist woman in sweat pants come at me with an egg stain on the tee shirt she sports proudly proclaiming "JESUS SAVES!"??

PASS.

Let her slip and slide by me in the dark thank you very much.

There are some things I fear that eyes are not to be subjected to.

I LIKE the dark, it's those creatures of the day that frighten me ever so much.

HS!

"Our religion does not require martyrs."
Magistra Nadramia.

FEARED!
Revered.
YOU can be a voice for the voiceless.

#91880 - 12/04/06 12:08 AM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: Evil_Eve]
redheadgrl Offline

Quote:

To see a 400 pound fundamentalist woman in sweat pants come at me with an egg stain on the tee shirt she sports proudly proclaiming "JESUS SAVES!"??

PASS.

Absolutely hilarious Evil_Eve! And one reason I'll never be sorry I left the bible belt and the no-fun-fundies in the dust....

#91881 - 12/04/06 07:46 AM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: LatnIsSeiv]
unholy_dragon Offline

Loc: london, england
When i was in my childhood i was scared of the dark and kept my bedroom door open to let in the hall light in. I even at a very young age i was scared of even going in my own room and had to sleep with my sisters. This was only due to some bad experience with unexplained activity in the night.

As i got older i became less frightened of the dark and even found i sleep better in the dark. As an adult I become to understand fear and to this day have not yet found anything that is in my enviroment that i am afraid of.

#91882 - 12/04/06 08:06 AM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: unholy_dragon]
Evil_Eve Offline
CoS Member

Loc: 1313 Mockingbird Lane

I would be delighted to sleep with some Sisters in the dark whilst unexplained activity took place.

For good measure, a Priest or two could join us and that would make it all the more lovely.

"Our religion does not require martyrs."
Magistra Nadramia.

FEARED!
Revered.
YOU can be a voice for the voiceless.

#91883 - 12/04/06 10:09 AM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: LatnIsSeiv]
Zaftig Offline
CoS Witch

I love the dark, always have.

It freaks my city friends out though, who have grown up with constant stimuli. Even if they don't notice the white noise anymore, they feel uneasy when it is absent. In that way, they fear silence, not darkness.

#91884 - 12/04/06 02:18 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: LatnIsSeiv]
Evil_i Offline

People do have an aversion to the dark, but it was pointed out in a previous post that children are afraid of the dark if they feel there either meant to be or they can see personal advantage in being scared (note; not acting scared, but being scared).

Id also like to point out that to the best of our knowledge, pre historic humanity was not scared of the dark, but of what the dark may camouflage.And with good reason, considering we started out as leopard bait.

Then again, maybe if youre not scared...youre not paying attention?

"Have you ever considered that what you have been told as a child was a lie? "

thats pretty much how i ended up here

#91885 - 12/04/06 07:41 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: Zaftig]
redheadgrl Offline

Feed their fear-they can huddle up under their florescents and incadescents indoors and I'll enjoy the night even more in their absence.

#91886 - 12/05/06 05:05 AM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: LatnIsSeiv]
unholy_dragon Offline

Fear does have a role to play in nature that helps the individual to survive.
Without fear you would not run from a predator or attack in defense.

Fear in itself gives you the energy of “Fight or Flight”, enabling you to do something at the slightest moment if needed.

Religion has created the fear of dark even creating the fear of god himself.
You probably got told by a religious person “are you not afraid of god”.
To me that almost sound like “Terrorism” and today man is fighting religious extremist for terrorism.

Those who tell me to fear god, I reply “why should I fear myself”.

#91887 - 12/05/06 10:53 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: LatnIsSeiv]
slayermet420 Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
It's simple. People are afraid of the dark because they're afraid of the unknown.

#91888 - 12/06/06 12:56 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: slayermet420]
Alia Offline
CoS Member

Loc: At Sorrow's End
Is it certain that it is the dark they're afraid of, and not just their own imagination?

Carpe Noctem

#91889 - 12/07/06 04:34 AM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: Evil_Eve]
unholy_dragon Offline

Yeah i miss thoughs days pity i can not turn back time.

Is it natrual to fancy your own sisters?

#91890 - 12/07/06 02:59 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: LatnIsSeiv]
ang3ldust Offline

Loc: marshalltown,ia
I think it is because for the most part for most people that you can't see anything in the dark so they fear the worst, where as when you are put into sunlight you can see everything.

#91891 - 12/07/06 03:09 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: LatnIsSeiv]
ModernTantalus Offline

I personally have no fear of the dark. In fact, it makes me feel more comfortable. I have excellent night vision. Much better than most people, plus I know my own surroundings. Anything that would threaten me is much worse off in the dark than in the light. Darkness gives me the advantage so it's preferable over the light where I'm on equal footing with my foe.

#91892 - 12/07/06 03:16 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: ang3ldust]
Groundhog Offline

I wonder why people think in this day and age that fearing the dark is a realistic fear to have? Darkness is just an absence of light. I think that fear of darkness is caused by superstition that when the sun goes down evil is let loose into the world. I think that religion has a lot to do with that concept. That's why I believe that rellgion is our biggest fear inducer. Most religion's have a motive to inducing fear. It brings converts and with converts brings power and money. Be in control of yourself and don't let irrational fears have any control over you.

Edited by ooo (12/07/06 04:18 PM)

#91893 - 12/07/06 07:12 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: Groundhog]
Zaftig Offline
CoS Witch

Quote:

Be in control of yourself and don't let irrational fears have any control over you.

Yes, and yet, sometimes I enjoy letting my imagination run...I can quite easily scare myself silly. But then I enjoy bringing myself back down. Perhaps it's a purging ritual in itself; allowing the fear to thrive in order to gain some control over it. I used to do it as a kid too.

Anybody else experience this sort of thing?

Page 6 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Forum Stats
12170 Members
73 Forums
43936 Topics
405789 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements