Page 7 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#91894 - 12/07/06 07:18 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: Zaftig]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: A Trailer Park
Absolutely. I do it over and over again - it's one of the reasons I love horror movies. Most horror movies just aren't that good but I am very good at suspension of disbelief. I can talk myself into absolute certainty that there is someone standing at the window looking at me or standing behind me in the dark. Like you, I work myself into a complete frenzy and then get through it. It's rather cathartic.
"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us – all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

We're Just Regular People

#91895 - 12/07/06 07:40 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: Zaftig]
Groundhog Offline

I let my mind wander wherever I want it to take me. Sometimes I do scare myself a bit but I know it's all about what I allow myself to think. As with a good horror movie. It's only a movie even if you allow yourself to think about it as what if, what if you were stuck in an old isolated house with Mr. Wise and the phone line was cut? Well, would you allow yourself to be in that situation, I mean no cell phone, and honestly, why are you driving through Texas anyway? What if you do get bitten by a poisonous snake or spider? Medical science has cures for the venoms as long as you can get to a doctor. I do like allowing for some mystery in life and a little bit of shiver down the spine. The adrenalin is worth it once the fear is realized as irrational. It is irrational isn't it?

#91896 - 12/07/06 08:18 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: Groundhog]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Quote:

and honestly, why are you driving through Texas anyway?

ooo, you crack me up!

Quote:

It is irrational isn't it?

I think there are irrational fears but basic fear is your mind telling you you might want to get the fuck out of there.
"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us – all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

#91897 - 12/08/06 11:38 AM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: ang3ldust]
Chess Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Chicago, IL USA
Quote:

where as when you are put into sunlight you can see everything.

...are you certain of that?

-Chess

#91898 - 12/23/06 04:39 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: Evil_i]
darklady Offline

Loc: uk
I say your not born scared of the dark as (there no light switch in the womb) it really how your brought up and your surrounding’s and the stories your told.

It all down to the kid’s nature as well some grow up not being scared of the dark no matter what they being told or otherwise but there is a few that go along with what been told and fear the shadows of what might be (baggie man or the unknown).

Look back when we didn’t have any lights or firer to light the way in the night do you think we be where we are today if all of them were scared of the dark if so we wouldn’t have found ways to help us combat our weakness’ (eyes not as good as owls) they needed people to test to see what worked and what didn’t. (People was scared of the unknown including light that wasn’t from the sun)

So you see how you can be scared of some think you don’t start with unless it been put there?

#91899 - 12/23/06 07:36 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: unholy_dragon]
darklady Offline

Me personally I never been afraid of the dark not even when I was a kid I hated the light mainly even thoe I had a mum and sister that didn’t like the dark always had to have a light on which I never understood the reason behind it.

Mind you nothing much scares me as yet as you never know what round the corner.
I been through a lot in my life so far that wasn’t nice so now I say why be scared if it going to happen then there not much you can do about it.
I learnt along time ago to face my fears head on rather than run away from it if I did I wouldn’t be who I am today.

The only thing you got to be afraid of is fear it self

#91900 - 12/23/06 07:47 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: darklady]
Mr Sam Offline

Loc: Somewhere in the UK.
Quote:

Cliché and untrue.

#91901 - 12/24/06 01:47 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: Mr Sam]
darklady Offline

Quote:

Quote:

Cliché and untrue.

maybe so to most people but it down to what everyone believes

#91902 - 12/24/06 02:06 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: darklady]
Poetaster Offline
CoS Member

Loc: East Coast, USA.
Fear is rather productive in certain situations; goes with that whole self-preservation idea that most rational people accept.

It's important, refreshing and often exciting in the right conditions.
"People who harbor strong convictions without evidence belong at the margins of our societies, not in our halls of power. The only thing we should respect in a person’s faith is his desire for a better life in this world; we need never have respected his certainty that one awaits him in the next."

- Sam Harris

#91903 - 12/24/06 03:53 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: darklady]
Minus Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Circling A Star
Quote:

I don't think anyone believes "the only thing to fear is fear itself" as they are being eaten by an alligator. I think they might actually fear the alligator.

"When the great lord passes, the wise peasant bows deeply and silently farts."
-Ethiopian Proverb

#91904 - 12/24/06 04:41 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: Minus]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Quote:

I don't think anyone believes "the only thing to fear is fear itself" as they are being eaten by an alligator. I think they might actually fear the alligator.

And bees. Alligators and bees.

#91905 - 12/24/06 04:55 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: Shade]
Evil_Eve Offline
CoS Member

Loc: 1313 Mockingbird Lane
Quote:

Quote:

And bees.
Alligators and bees.

And never forget the BADGERS!

I fear the Badger.

"Our religion does not require martyrs."
Magistra Nadramia.

FEARED!
Revered.
YOU can be a voice for the voiceless.

#91906 - 12/24/06 05:00 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: Poetaster]
Catalyst Offline
Banned

Loc: Atwater, Ohio
I am not too sure about this. Truly, there is only 2 things in the world I am afraid of- Horses, and well, the other is too irrational for me to want to share. Anyway- I have never found this to interfere with self-preservation and I also have found that people who are afraid of things, certain things, spend more time worrying about their counter-productive fears than accomplishing some tasks.

#91907 - 12/24/06 09:39 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: Catalyst]
Poetaster Offline
CoS Member

Loc: East Coast, USA.
Fear can be a motivating force.

It's the precipitating evolutionary force behind the "fight or flight" mechanism.

Irrational fear is not the same as genuine and necessary fear. Your fear of horses is quite likely a phobia. Phobias are generally irrational fears. But somehow, I think you'd be frightened of a knife-wielding maniac intent on gutting you. If you weren't, then you're a bad mother fucker.

Fear of things that SHOULD elicit fear is productive in that it allows you to identify danger and then act accordingly to preserve your life. If the action is to freeze up and do nothing, then that's a shame, but it doesn't denote fear to an inferior position.
"People who harbor strong convictions without evidence belong at the margins of our societies, not in our halls of power. The only thing we should respect in a person’s faith is his desire for a better life in this world; we need never have respected his certainty that one awaits him in the next."

- Sam Harris

#91908 - 12/25/06 05:00 AM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: Minus]
darklady Offline

Quote:

Quote:

well it wasn't meant like that what is the chance's of that happening .
It like people wont do stuff as they fear what might happen or wont go out side as they fear open spaces or thay fear small spaces.
It the fear that stops people but fear there for a reason but some are missed placed depending on what they fear and how it came about in the first place.

Page 7 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Forum Stats
12170 Members
73 Forums
43936 Topics
405790 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements