Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#91909 - 12/25/06 05:12 AM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: darklady]
Rory_Rocketpants Offline
CoS Member

Loc: unknown
Quote:

It the fear that stops people but fear there for a reason but some are missed placed depending on what they fear and how it came about in the first place.

Uhhhhhhhhhhh...

...What?

#91910 - 12/25/06 07:16 AM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: darklady]
Minus Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Circling A Star
Quote:

what is the chance's of that happening .

Being eaten by an alligator? 50% You either will be eaten by an alligator or you won't.

"When the great lord passes, the wise peasant bows deeply and silently farts."
-Ethiopian Proverb

#91911 - 12/25/06 08:03 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: Minus]
Rory_Rocketpants Offline
CoS Member

I disagree, MinusXIII.

I think the odds are not so equally stacked...

How many american-city dwellers are gonna get eaten by an alligator? 1%? If that....

How many african fishermen will get eaten by alligators? The odds are a lot higher.

#91912 - 12/26/06 06:19 AM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: Rory_Rocketpants]
Minus Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

I disagree, MinusXIII.

You disagree with my joke? Geez, you could have just not laughed. Hurt my feelings, why don't you...

-Ethiopian Proverb

#91913 - 12/26/06 07:07 AM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: Minus]
Rory_Rocketpants Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

You disagree with my joke? Geez, you could have just not laughed. Hurt my feelings, why don't you...

I'm sorry, my humour gland is on the blink...

#91914 - 12/26/06 09:12 AM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: Poetaster]
Catalyst Offline
Banned

Loc: Atwater, Ohio
Quote:

Fear can be a motivating force.

It's the precipitating evolutionary force behind the "fight or flight" mechanism.

Irrational fear is not the same as genuine and necessary fear. Your fear of horses is quite likely a phobia. Phobias are generally irrational fears. But somehow, I think you'd be frightened of a knife-wielding maniac intent on gutting you. If you weren't, then you're a bad mother fucker.

Fear of things that SHOULD elicit fear is productive in that it allows you to identify danger and then act accordingly to preserve your life. If the action is to freeze up and do nothing, then that's a shame, but it doesn't denote fear to an inferior position.

You may be right, my fear of horses could be very irrational and just a phobia, as well as my other fear. As far as the knife weilding maniac is concerned- no, I am not scared. It is not too difficult to disarm someone like that provided you know what to do, and then cause them some serious pain and physical damage. I have had a shotgun pointed at my chest (long story) and simply brought the barrel to my forehead and told him to make it count. Not even death itself scares me, but dont label me a "bad motherfucker" for it. As I said before- not too damn much in this world scares me.

#91917 - 12/26/06 09:47 AM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: Catalyst]
Poetaster Offline
CoS Member

Loc: East Coast, USA.
Quote:

I have had a shotgun pointed at my chest (long story) and simply brought the barrel to my forehead and told him to make it count.

That was a smart thing to do...
"People who harbor strong convictions without evidence belong at the margins of our societies, not in our halls of power. The only thing we should respect in a personís faith is his desire for a better life in this world; we need never have respected his certainty that one awaits him in the next."

- Sam Harris

#91918 - 12/26/06 09:48 AM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: Poetaster]
Catalyst Offline
Banned

Loc: Atwater, Ohio
Like I said- Long story

#91920 - 12/26/06 09:54 AM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: Catalyst]
Minus Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

I have had a shotgun pointed at my chest (long story) and simply brought the barrel to my forehead and told him to make it count.

Since you already had the barrel in your hand maybe you could have aimed it away from yourself entirely.

Quote:

As far as the knife weilding maniac is concerned- no, I am not scared. It is not too difficult to disarm someone like that provided you know what to do

You could always put the knife to your own throat and tell him to make it count.

-Ethiopian Proverb

#91921 - 12/26/06 09:57 AM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: Minus]
Poetaster Offline
CoS Member

Loc: East Coast, USA.
Quote:

Since you already had the barrel in your hand maybe you could have aimed it away from yourself entirely.

We can't get too judgemental, that's what scared people would do. Ascendancy is fearless with a capital "F."

Quote:

You could always put the knife to your own throat and tell him to make it count.

Why do that, when you can just karate chop your way to safety?

Edited by AmbientLogic (12/26/06 10:07 AM)
"People who harbor strong convictions without evidence belong at the margins of our societies, not in our halls of power. The only thing we should respect in a personís faith is his desire for a better life in this world; we need never have respected his certainty that one awaits him in the next."

- Sam Harris

#91938 - 12/26/06 06:13 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: LatnIsSeiv]
luciferHammer Offline
Banned

Because it is more easy for a monster hides himself in the dark. That also goes for enemies, robbers, maniacs, killers, rapers, etc...

There is also those lack of self-confidence of those civilized. They have never had, even been conditioned not to face the dark.

#91944 - 12/26/06 07:55 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: LatnIsSeiv]
lazer_beast Offline

Loc: Sol III
My response to "Why are people afraid of the dark?":

People are afraid of the dark because darkness represents the unknown. People rely so much on light for information, they're unware that even in darkness, they can still feel. People are uncomfortable in the unknown because they aren't aware enough to choose to listen or smell or feel, and so they have no control. People fear lack of control.

Am I wrong?

#91945 - 12/27/06 04:01 AM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: darklady]
blaskhyrk Offline

Loc: Poland
I think that the darkness is afraids by some beleviers, like christians and the oothers, for them darkness is evil for us - freedom. That is logical that those poor people will be afraid of the darkness, like in iron maiden's song fear of the dark - it is unnessesary and stupid to afraid it. For the brave world was made.

#91947 - 12/28/06 07:04 AM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: lazer_beast]
DecadentHeroine Offline

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Quote:

My response to "Why are people afraid of the dark?":

People are afraid of the dark because darkness represents the unknown. People rely so much on light for information, they're unware that even in darkness, they can still feel. People are uncomfortable in the unknown because they aren't aware enough to choose to listen or smell or feel, and so they have no control. People fear lack of control.

Am I wrong?

I agree, that's pretty much what I was going to write. We are led to beleive throughout life [by society, media, stories, etc] that monsters and murderers and communists lurk in the shadows and want to kill you. I have learned when walking on a dark street to supress any fears and summon adrenalin so I can fight off/escape whatever comes without panicing.

As a child I used to have a fear of bright lights. They worried me more because they can blind you and I think my eyes are sensitive to light or something.

The darkness allows your imagination to roam, and many people imagine that things they fear will come out of it. For example, when opening a present, you would expect soemthing pelasant, but when going into a dark place you expect monsters.

#91948 - 12/28/06 01:45 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: DecadentHeroine]
Goetia Offline

Loc: Australia
Quote:

We are led to beleive throughout life [by society, media, stories, etc] that monsters and murderers and communists lurk in the shadows and want to kill you.

I think this is very much the cause, at least in my case. When I feel afraid of the dark, it's nearly always when I'm in my own home and letting myself think about stories I've read or silly movies I've seen. It's purely my imagination working, and a completely irrational fear. Equally irrationally, I can walk down an empty city street at night and not feel afraid at all, even though I know I should be wary.

Edited by Goetia (12/28/06 01:46 PM)
Intellectual despair results in neither weakness nor dreams, but in violence. It is only a matter of knowing how to give vent to one's rage; whether one only wants to wander like madmen around prisons, or whether one wants to overturn them. - Georges Bataille

Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Forum Stats
11891 Members
73 Forums
43637 Topics
404147 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements