Page 9 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Topic Options
#91949 - 12/28/06 06:50 PM I'm afraid of the dark because I ran out of matches... [Re: Goetia]
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
Quote:

Quote:

We are led to beleive throughout life [by society, media, stories, etc] that monsters and murderers and communists lurk in the shadows and want to kill you.

I think this is very much the cause, at least in my case. When I feel afraid of the dark, it's nearly always when I'm in my own home and letting myself think about stories I've read or silly movies I've seen. It's purely my imagination working, and a completely irrational fear. Equally irrationally, I can walk down an empty city street at night and not feel afraid at all, even though I know I should be wary.

Some people like to complicate things and find intricate conspiracies and elaborate esoteric explanations behind everything.

I find ridiculous how this topic has been active for months, and people keep piling up one ridiculous explanation after another, blaming some kind of cultural programming or sinister religious brainwashing for what itís just a natural instinct.

People are afraid of the dark because you canít see in the dark. Thatís it! You can trip and break your nose, or you can fall in a hole. Any person with a healthy conservation instinct avoids going into a dark place without a flashlight.

#91950 - 12/28/06 07:02 PM Re: I'm afraid of the dark because I ran out of matches... [Re: Old_Pig]
Goetia Offline

Loc: Australia
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

We are led to beleive throughout life [by society, media, stories, etc] that monsters and murderers and communists lurk in the shadows and want to kill you.

I think this is very much the cause, at least in my case. When I feel afraid of the dark, it's nearly always when I'm in my own home and letting myself think about stories I've read or silly movies I've seen. It's purely my imagination working, and a completely irrational fear. Equally irrationally, I can walk down an empty city street at night and not feel afraid at all, even though I know I should be wary.

Some people like to complicate things and find intricate conspiracies and elaborate esoteric explanations behind everything.

I certainly didn't mean to do that. My point was more that I don't seem to have much an instinctive fear of the dark, unless I let my imagination get the better of me. I probably should have clarified that I don't blame society or the media for this, but my own tendency to dwell on fictitious stories.
Intellectual despair results in neither weakness nor dreams, but in violence. It is only a matter of knowing how to give vent to one's rage; whether one only wants to wander like madmen around prisons, or whether one wants to overturn them. - Georges Bataille

#91951 - 12/28/06 07:14 PM Re: I'm afraid of the dark because I ran out of matches... [Re: Goetia]
Minus Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Circling A Star
Somebody shoot this thread...

"When the great lord passes, the wise peasant bows deeply and silently farts."
-Ethiopian Proverb

#91952 - 12/28/06 07:40 PM Re: I'm afraid of the dark because I ran out of matches... [Re: Goetia]
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
I'm sorry if it looked like I was referring only to you. Yours was just the last post. I was making fun on the theme of this thread in general, not your specific post.

Page 9 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Forum Stats
12117 Members
73 Forums
43876 Topics
405559 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements