Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#91803 - 04/09/05 03:26 PM Why are people afraid of the dark?
LatnIsSeiv Offline

Loc: U.S.
Have you ever heard any good ghost stories? Did they make you uncomfortable, squeamish, or afraid? Do you remember the first time you heard about the monster in the closet, the monster under the bed, or the shadows that lurk in the dark at night? Do you still check under your bed or look in your closet? Do you sleep with the lights on or off? Do you leave your door cracked open?

Why are people afraid of the -- DARK? Have you ever considered that what you have been told as a child was a lie? The one thing I liked about the Disney movie Monsters, Inc. is that it showed you that your perceptions could be wrong...

Question: Why are people afraid of the dark?

Remember that FEAR is a human emotion.

Thank you for your time and feedback, in advance.

TSB:
Pg. 34 - Book 5; verse 8

TSR:
Pg. 14 - paragraph 4; line 1 – etc…

Hail Satan!

#91804 - 04/09/05 04:39 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: LatnIsSeiv]
uncleherpe Offline

people are afraid of the dark because they cant see whats going on.

#91805 - 04/09/05 04:51 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: uncleherpe]
RustySpring Offline
CoS Warlock

Bingo!

#91807 - 04/09/05 05:05 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: LatnIsSeiv]
Hazel Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
That's a simple question that you complicated with unnecessary words, answering your own question in the process.

"Fear is a[n]... [animal] emotion." We are animals. Thusly, we fear. We fear what we do not understand, or what we don't know. We can't see in the dark, and since that is the sense we rely on most, we become scared.

Edited by Hazel (04/09/05 05:22 PM)

#91808 - 04/09/05 05:08 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: ]
Drimlybunk Offline
CoS Member

Loc: California
Quote:

Yes, fear IS a human emotion, one that has undoubtably kept our ancestors alive for millions of years.

Fear is a ingrained biological survival tool.

Good point, I agree and would like to elaborate:

Our ancestors feared the dark because those who did lived long enough to reproduce. If every time one of your kin goes into that dark corner of the cave and doesn't come back eventually you learn not to go back there.

A lot of our fears originate similarly, for example: fear of heights, fear of spiders/snakes/things with big teeth, et cetera.

#91809 - 04/09/05 05:08 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: LatnIsSeiv]
NatassjaNoctis Offline

Loc: earth
Quote:

Are you saying that fear is an exclusively human emotion and that animals do not experience it?
If so, That in itself is highly debatable.
Most "animal attacks" happen when an animal sees a human as a threat (fear) and rarely because it sees humans as food.

Perhaps humans have slightly different reactions to fear than animals, but not too much.
People who are homophobic (having a fear of homosexuals and/or homosexuality) often attack when they see what they perceive as a "homosexual threat" to their "straighness".
People who are xenophobic (having a fear of foreign or "other" cultures/ethnicities) often behave the same way when they see their "fear triggers".
Now back to animals, I have had several pets who were "afraid" of the dark (stop and tread slowly into unlit rooms, etc), mainly because it forces them to rely on other, perhaps less powerful senses than sight, and they don't know what to expect.
As to why some humans (not me-I actually see better in the dark) are afraid of the dark, perhaps it because they are generally raised in societies that teach children from a young age to associate "light" with "being saved","heaven" and/or "holiness" of some sort, by turn, associating "dark" with "Demons", "Devils" awnd other craetures of "the night" who might "harm" you.
And the answer about aniamls may play into human behavior as well...

#91810 - 04/09/05 05:40 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: NatassjaNoctis]
uncleherpe Offline

As to why some humans (not me-I actually see better in the dark) are afraid of the dark, perhaps it because they are generally raised in societies that teach children from a young age to associate "light" with "being saved","heaven" and/or "holiness" of some sort, by turn, associating "dark" with "Demons", "Devils" awnd other craetures of "the night" who might "harm" you.

---------------------------

not everything boils down to ideas in the bible. I disagree with you on that. Light is good because you can use your main sensory organs in it. Dark is bad because it severly reduces your ability to see. even before religion im sure this was the purpose of fearing the dark.

I am scared of the dark because I have horrible nightvision and I am a very small skinny white girl. Its smart for me to be scared.

#91811 - 04/09/05 05:58 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: NatassjaNoctis]
Hazel Offline

Quote:

When I was a toddler it was never Biblical meanies who threatened me. It was the bad guys I saw on children's programming. Remember Ghostwriter (Anyone, anyone?) The purple gum-monster? I was scared for months about that. Also, my mom is an art collector. She has this really freaky mask hanging up in the kitchen that used to scare the crap out of me (it only doesn't do that now because it's in the attic!) Generally I feel it's just normal things that creep you out are manifested in your imagination and projected at night.

#91812 - 04/09/05 06:40 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: NatassjaNoctis]
Gileyd Offline

Loc: Leeds, UK
No, I don't believe fear is exclusive to humans. Fear and aggression are the two universal emotions in the animal kingdom. Even with humans it's the more primitive part of our brain that triggers either of them off, our monkey heritage displayed there.

I definetly think that aggression is important for survival, but I'm undecided with fear. The reason I question it is because of the studies I've read with violent criminals, who were alleged to exhibit fear very weakly. They still apparently fought for self-presevation, both when they were apprehended and in prison. And also in day to day things like crossing the road. I'm not scared of the road or a car, but I know logically that I will be harmed if I get hit by one. Therefore, it is out of logic that I look both ways when I cross, not because of fear.

I don't really know why darkness makes people scared or uncormfortable, but whoever said because we can't see is probably on the right track.
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me. - The Sith Code (George Lucas)

#91813 - 04/09/05 06:53 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: Gileyd]
Hazel Offline

Quote:

I'm not scared of the road or a car

But you will be scared of the car once it barrels towards you at 80 miles per hour and you can't get away in time.

#91814 - 04/09/05 07:00 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: Hazel]
Gileyd Offline

Probably, but I won't known that till I'm in that situation, and the fear won't really be helping me survive at that point. It would probably make the average person just freeze.

And it doesn't really change the fact that people take measures to survive without being actively scared.
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me. - The Sith Code (George Lucas)

#91815 - 04/09/05 07:08 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: Gileyd]
Hazel Offline

Maybe I'm stretching it but perhaps an unconscious fear of fear?

#91816 - 04/09/05 07:10 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: Hazel]
Gileyd Offline

Interesting, what do you mean?

#91817 - 04/09/05 07:14 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: Gileyd]
Hazel Offline

Well a person who doesn't look both ways before crossing the street runs the risk of being in a situation where they would be scared. Fear is something people usually avoid, so perhaps it's also there to deter us from doing anything that might make us afraid.

#91818 - 04/09/05 07:21 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: Hazel]
Gileyd Offline

Brings a new take on "we have nothing to fear but fear itself" !

What I find intersting in fear, is the way we can condition ourselves to not be afraid of something and how sometimes we can be made afraid of something we know is irrational. eg. As a young child, someone got bitten by rabbit. So now even as an adult, they feel waves of fear if they get to close to a rabit.

#91819 - 04/09/05 09:55 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: Gileyd]
Drimlybunk Offline
CoS Member

Loc: California
I think fear is essential for survival. However as we've evolved to be more analytical than our anscestors we can be more picky about what we choose to fear. As I stated earlier, we fear the dark because our ancestors had a better chance of reproducing if they stayed out of it. As modern humans know that not all darkness is bad, however some dark places may still be wise to avoid. (For example, walking down a dark ally in an urban city at four in the morning is probably still asking for trouble, or sticking your hand down a dark hole which may have an animal in it.) Unfortunately however it is still instinct to fear the darkness in general despite what rational thought may conclude.

#91820 - 04/09/05 10:08 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: Drimlybunk]
JayeDemise Offline

People are scared of the dark because people are always scared of things they cant control. Its also impossible to accurately judge the true human responses to fear because what may scare you, may make me giggle...

#91821 - 04/09/05 10:44 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: uncleherpe]
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
Quote:

No. Fear of the dark has nothing to do with spiritual or religious education. We fear the dark by instinct, not because we are told to. Most predators are nocturnal and some can see very well in the dark. We are primates, our ancestors must have lived in constant fear of the night, when the big cats and other hunters were searching for prey. In the light of day we have the advantage, because we walk on two legs and can see other animals coming, also we have our hands free to carry weapons. In the dark we can't see well and the predator has the advantage.

Most religions and philosophies associate light with good and darkness with evil because of our fear of the dark... not the other way around.

#91822 - 04/10/05 02:44 AM Re: Why are people afraid of Daark? [Re: LatnIsSeiv]
RandomStranger Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Here.

Because the games Daark comes up with
are challenging and difficult?

of all the unemployed comedians...

#91823 - 04/10/05 05:31 AM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: LatnIsSeiv]
SubOptimo Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Germany
I think this is natural, thinking of our ancestors. Humans are highly dependent on their visual system. Now, imagine a human in a time, the only source of light was a torch and there were no firearms. So moving in open terretory at night simply was dangerous. Also resting, because a camp would draw attention from probably dangerous animals. Entering dark caves was dangerous too.

I suggest an experiment: Simply close your eyes and walk over a highway. This will deepen your understanding why humans are afraid of the dark.

#91824 - 04/10/05 05:45 AM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: NatassjaNoctis]
SubOptimo Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Germany
I guess I have to spell it:

We Satanists.

To Satanists: humans = animals.

Humans have emotions, leads to: animals have emotions.

Reduces
to
Remember that FEAR is a emotion.
Valid for vertebrates, at least.

Aussuming agreement to the fact that stones are not animals and therefore have no emotions, so they are logically not afraid of the dark, nor they are humans.

About the stories of good=light, bad=darkness I share the opinion of my best friend, he's a well educated stone.

#91825 - 04/10/05 09:56 AM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: LatnIsSeiv]
Grima Offline

Loc: Netherlands
We are still animals at heart, and we are the kind of animals that lived at day and were hunted in the night when we tried to sleep in our caves.
Although that is now some thousands of years ago and we evolved (not all of us however) these feelings still play a large part.
Children really can fear the dark, but when we grow up we tend to push back those feelings and tell ourselves that it is stupid and childish. But the fear never goes away, although I am not afraid in the dark normally, I do tend to feel 'chased' on a dark street when I am all alone. I know there is nothing to fear but deep inside there is a feeling of dread.
I own a large collection of animals and while some of them are nightly predators I also own birds and birds are terrified of the dark. If I walk past they start to panic like the world is coming to an end.
It's a normal biological thing for daylight-living animals to fear the dark and the predators that lurk within it. And man is just another animal.

#91826 - 04/10/05 10:17 AM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: LatnIsSeiv]
Satanya Offline
Banned

I have always been actually turned on by ghost stories and the like as opposed to fear them like most people. This might have been because I grew up in a spooky environment, so to speak. When venturing to the kitchen for a glass of milk some nights, it was a common occurrence to find a circle of old ladies sitting at a table by candle-light with witchy-boards trying to invoke the dead, "possessions", thanks to the Allan Kardec followers in my family, you name it---insert spookyness here, I have "seen" it.

People fear the dark and the unknown because it is in their nature to only accept things that they know, they also like to entertain their imagination into creating beasts of unimaginable sizes--people need fantasy in their lives, just most people need only fantasies in their lives, so anything that would put their fantasies at risk is a big no-no--if they find out there are no spooky ghosts out there, if they find out there is no Hell hereafter, it would be to them like giving up the excitement they have in their existence, some people need fear to live to that level. Fear is a healthy thing to experience, but to a logical level.

#91827 - 04/10/05 10:40 AM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: JayeDemise]
Alexey Offline

Loc: Russian Federation
Quote:

people are always scared of things they cant control.

But sometimes we like to scare. Basejumping, Parachute jumps from the plane is a situations, when you can't be sure in your safety. It's just example.
I think, people scare not uncontrolable situations, but they scare when can't control their fear.

#91828 - 04/10/05 10:48 AM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: Grima]
dragondancer Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Virginia
Quote:

But the fear never goes away, although I am not afraid in the dark normally, I do tend to feel 'chased' on a dark street when I am all alone. I know there is nothing to fear but deep inside there is a feeling of dread.

I would say that is a healthy fear, when alone on a dark street. Fear makes us more alert and aware ( more of those hold overs from the cave days)if we are afraid to some degree, then we will be able to react faster, the adrenaline is already pumping and our bodies are ready with the flight or fight reaction. I tend to listen to my instincts and let myself have some healthy fear instead of trying to push it away. If I don't need it, no harm done, if I do, then I am ready.

Hail Satan!
"It does take an exceptional mind and a still more exceptional integrity to remain untouched by the brain-destroying influences of the world's doctrines, the accumulated evil of the centuries-to remain human, since the human is the rational." Dr. Akston in Atlas Shrugged

"Not life, but good life, is to be chiefly valued." Socrates

Dragondancer
Temple of Vampire

#91829 - 04/10/05 12:20 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: dragondancer]
Gileyd Offline

Quote:

I would say that is a healthy fear, when alone on a dark street. Fear makes us more alert and aware ( more of those hold overs from the cave days)if we are afraid to some degree, then we will be able to react faster, the adrenaline is already pumping and our bodies are ready with the flight or fight reaction. I tend to listen to my instincts and let myself have some healthy fear instead of trying to push it away. If I don't need it, no harm done, if I do, then I am ready.

Some good points dragondancer, but I think I disagree with you. Yes fear prepares you, but it also plays tricks on you and makes you act irrationally. As for "healthy fear", the adrenaline puts unneeded stress on your heart, it even induces heart-attacks in the elderly and people with weak hearts.

So I do feel it is important to condition yourself to what is appropriate to fear and what is not.

#91830 - 04/10/05 12:30 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: Old_Pig]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
Absolutely correct.

However, I do think the teachings, values, and beliefs of a given religion or culture can increase or decrease an individual's natural fear of the dark.

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#91831 - 04/10/05 02:10 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: Gileyd]
dragondancer Offline

CoS Member

Quote:

Some good points dragondancer, but I think I disagree with you. Yes fear prepares you, but it also plays tricks on you and makes you act irrationally. As for "healthy fear", the adrenaline puts unneeded stress on your heart, it even induces heart-attacks in the elderly and people with weak hearts.

So I do feel it is important to condition yourself to what is appropriate to fear and what is not.

Yes, what you say is true. I think though, that if it is not a regular occurrence; it is a good thing to pay attention to your senses when you are in a situation that makes you a bit fearful. The example that was mentioned; walking alone on a dark street, would be I guess, considered the situation "appropriate to fear". I for one, want that fear to tell me to be alert and aware in such a situation and the adreline probably isn't going to do any permanent damage if it is not, as I said, on a regular basis. When I am old and frail, you can be sure that I, like most elderly people, will avoid putting myself into these situations as much as is under my control.

As for acting irrationally, you are probably talking about more than just a sense of dread, or a "healthy" fear. I think you are at that point talking about fear that takes over your body and your brain, more like panic. That is an individual reaction, I don't think everyone acts irrationally when they are fearful, though certainly some do, and what causes panic in some people might be just a mild sense of dread to others. So, while I agree with you, I think you are talking about something a little more extreme then what I meant.

Hail Satan!
"It does take an exceptional mind and a still more exceptional integrity to remain untouched by the brain-destroying influences of the world's doctrines, the accumulated evil of the centuries-to remain human, since the human is the rational." Dr. Akston in Atlas Shrugged

Dragondancer
Temple of Vampire

#91832 - 04/10/05 08:11 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: LatnIsSeiv]
HadesCitizen Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Hellas
Because they can't see

Hellenic Black Metal Art

#91833 - 04/10/05 10:23 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: LatnIsSeiv]
Bugbear Offline
CoS Member

Fear of the dark is instinctual. Google "The Principles of Psychology" by William James. Not only will it answer your question, but also shows how reason can conjure a balancing or overpowering instinct such as ferociousness, in response to fear. Mr James goes on to show a bias between the sexes in regards to fight or flight, it's an interesting and thought provoking read.

#91834 - 04/11/05 04:40 AM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: LatnIsSeiv]
darkangel1210 Offline

Loc: England
I never have been a person to be completely afraid of the dark, but I am still wary. It's down to instinct I think. Just because I'm not totally afraid doesn't mean that I'm not going to be alert to any possible dangers, even if it is in my own garden.

When it comes to horror films the only film so far that has made me physically freeze in bed has been 'the grudge'. You know that scene with the bed??? Scared the shit out of me! I kept on thinking I'd see this lump crawling up through my covers after I'd first seen the film. But I know that it isn't real and now it's one of my favourite scenes. Again it all comes down to POV as well. I love a good scare but I don't go around checking the closet for an attic door or root through my bed to make sure that nothing comes up from underneath it. A complete waste of valuable sleeping time! (Sorry if that went a bit off topic by the way).
What does not kill me, makes me stronger - Friedrich Nietzsche Man is the cruelest animal - Friedrich Nietzsche Governments should be afraid of their people, not people of their governments - V, 'V for Vendetta'

#91835 - 04/11/05 08:25 AM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: Gileyd]
Grima Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Indeed when your fear starts to control you, it is just as dangerous as the real danger. Most people really put themselves in mortal danger by acting solely on their fear alone.
I think you should listen to your instincts but must also keep a rational mind at the same time, something you can only learn from experience.

#91836 - 04/13/05 05:11 AM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: darkangel1210]
Hydroksyde Offline

Loc: New Zealand
Hadn't happened to me in a while, but after reading H. P. Lovecraft's "The Rats in the Walls", i had nightmares that some guy was going to come and eat me

#91837 - 04/13/05 05:39 AM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: Hydroksyde]
oggi Offline

Loc: Finland
Quote:

Hadn't happened to me in a while, but after reading H. P. Lovecraft's "The Rats in the Walls", i had nightmares that some guy was going to come and eat me

And that did scare you? In dreams I can see when it is true and when not. I have feared in one dream in past few year, and what I feard in that was truth, it was dream, just dream... I like more to be tortured in dream than enjoy dream.

#91838 - 04/13/05 11:58 AM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: HadesCitizen]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
>>Because they can't see

That's what somebody already already said in the very first reply.

But there's more to it than that. As Pig pointed out, there's some hard-wired biological stuff going on. Another thing, which I haven't seen anybody mention yet, is that when one is in a dark place, he or she is typically alone. Movie theatres and dance clubs are dark, but you don't find people being afraid of the dark there. There are people around and the mind's focused on entertainment.

When you're in a dark room with no other people, there are usually much less distractions. Combine that with not being able to see, and you quickly pick up on sounds that you normally wouldn't have heard or at least paid much attention to during the day. Stairs and walls may creak by themselves ("things that go bump in the night") due to changes in the wood's humidity as the temperature is cooler at night. It can all add up to a mind that panics and makes up self-deceiving explanations for what's "there".

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#91839 - 04/13/05 12:21 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: Gileyd]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

>>>I'm not scared of the road or a car [Gileyd]
>>
>>But you will be scared of the car once it
>>barrels towards you at 80 miles per hour
>>and you can't get away in time. [Hazel]
>
>Probably, but I won't known that till I'm in that
>situation [Gileyd]

What?!? I know I'D be afraid of a car coming directly at me at 80mph, if it looked any bit unlikely that I could be out of its way in time. And the reason I know it is because I value my life and I know what a ton of moving steel can do to a 170lb human. I sure as hell don't need to put that to the test in order to be "sure". I am fucking sure.

"Shouldn't we be afraid of SOME things though? Like, tigers?" - Penn Jillette

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#91840 - 04/13/05 12:36 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: LatnIsSeiv]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
I was afraid of the dark as a child. There were a lot of anxieties in my home because it was not a stable environment.
I am not now afraid of the dark. I love the dark. I find the dark relaxing.
I am unaffected by ghost stories, because there are no ghosts.
The only movie that has given me the wiggins lately is The Eye.

What free gift do we get for filling out this questionnaire? There is always a free gift.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#91841 - 04/13/05 02:20 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: LatnIsSeiv]
IronCrafter Offline

Loc: A Harsh Reality ,Wa USA
When I first began to look at the emotion of fear,it struck me that it had great power. I steeped outside of myself a bit, and looked back inside.

I began to push the bottons usually only acessed by those influences that came from without......hmm,this one makes me do that,etc.....I began tracing the roots to sources.

Some of them went back surprisingly far,and yes-some were valid in a self preservation context.....Others were from lies, and my own insecurities. Those that were from lies lost power, as soon as they were uncovered as such.

Ultimmately, I realized that the biggest fears came from a sense that we might *lose* a thing we hold dear.

THINGS....hmm,and I drew up a Hierarchy of *things* in my life that were important to me. Me,and my core values.

My connections to others....material objects,personal likes and dislikes.......I gained internal clarity. What is the dark? The unknown, or unknowable.

A place where our vision fails us,and we cannot see. Here lurks fear. I learned to find solace in not knowing-it can be a blessing. To feel the possilities of completion in the ebony touch of night. Instead of the loss, that I could not see the safe little world I had created.

And far down, deep inside, in that place where so many of us keep that vat of acid that corrodes our being,I made a crack in the vessel.

Peace....

HS! Crafter
"Life is an objective-achieve it." "Be who you are and say what you feel,because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr Suess My home page featuring my work can be found here. HS! Crafter

#91842 - 08/18/06 02:09 AM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: IronCrafter]
nightryde Offline

FEAR is a powerful emotion. in excess quantity it trumps all other emotions; you lose your sense of rationale, belief. after watching a scary movie (being feed an excessive amount of emotional fear.. for me it better be a pretty fucking scary film) then walking into the dark your brain begins triggering thoughts of preposterous ideas.. like the thing you just was in the film coming out of the dark. this is when FEAR has invaded your other emotions.

#91843 - 08/18/06 11:12 AM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: ]
Dark_Adept Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: High Hades
I'm still laughing even as I'm typing this. Damn.. fear of the dark?What man fears he destroys. No wonder I feel compelled to start throwing punches in the dark....What I fear I destroy!

#91844 - 08/19/06 04:21 AM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: Dark_Adept]
Rene Offline

Loc: Denmark
Quote:

What man fears he destroys.

Hmmm... that would explaine mans compulcive behavior for putting streetlamps ewerywere!!!...

Seriosly... i think that fear (as in a sense of knowing whats dangerus for us) is a survival skill man still needs today. I see our childish fear of monsters in he closet and in the shadows as a result of our upbringing, what we are taught and told by our parents and other "grownups" around us when we are kids. This is then further enhanced by school material, religius upbringing, stories, movies and books throuout our youth.

Modern man is, as a hole, in the position where he nolonger need to fear the predetory animals, the enviroment in witch he lives and "the dark". (Exept in special cases, like violence or assult from others, ect....) We still need to respect these aspects, as in "if i stand too close to the edge i might fall over the cliff" sort of thing. And that is what i call common sense.

Fear, taken to an extreem truely paralyses a person. I have seen this behavior in my self and in others several times in stressfull situations. In these cases i have witnessed that when the fear sets in, the people involved, (me included), would ether panic and go into shock in some form. Therby letting the fear render them paralysed and helpless. Or they would accept the fact that they were wery afraid and therfor focus intensely on the job at hand to steer them out of the situation and out of danger. In this case, i found that fear, when handeled objectively, was a strong motivator for survival.

(noone in any of these cases was in serios mortal danger, but when you find yourself in over your head, it feels overwelming in any case.)

In any case... i recomend anyone a healthy dose of adventure experienses in ther daly lives, it changes them.

Keep your guardian angle on her toes!

Edited by Rene (08/19/06 04:23 AM)
Television is there to keep you impedent. Television is like taking black paint to your eyes. (Bill Hicks.) I need no pendants round my neck, nor any signs on my wall. My true power is my ability to listen to my deepest desires, and see them forfilled...

#91845 - 08/19/06 07:46 AM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: LatnIsSeiv]
shadowraven213 Offline

when i was going through a rough time in my life the night time offered me a place of safety from the hardships of the day and the best place i found to hide or to think was the graveyards as most people wouldnt go in there at night it was some of the only times ive been truly alone to think and to relax not once did i feel scared because i understood that people are afraid of what they dont fully compredhend and most people will say this is true of death and the darkness i knew this and capitalised on it to my advantage so i know what people where afraid of in the dark because i was once it

#91846 - 08/19/06 12:59 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: LatnIsSeiv]
chimera Offline

Loc: Sacramento, CA U.S.A.
I'm not afraid of The Dark, I'm worried about what's In the dark. Of course, I'm in the dark also, so mayhaps they should be afraid also...

#91847 - 08/19/06 01:12 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: LatnIsSeiv]
JustinR Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Newfoundland, Canada
I suppose some people have a fear of the dark because they're afraid of the unknown. Who or what is lurking in the dark? Personally, I've never be afraid of the dark, even as a kid. Actually, I'd much rather be sitting alone in a dark room, as opposed to being blinded by sunlight in my living room.

Fear of the dark can be fairly common in children, but I think most kids outgrow it at a young age. I don't know of any adults that are afraid of the dark, although I'm sure there are quite a few.

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking." - General George S. Patton

JustinR on The Undercroft

#91848 - 08/19/06 01:27 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: LatnIsSeiv]
Easy Offline

i don't think that it is the DARK people are afraid of - it's the UNKNOWN. every animal fears the unknown.

#91849 - 08/19/06 01:28 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: LatnIsSeiv]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

>> Why are people afraid of the -- DARK? <<

I have noticed that whenever I try and navigate my way around the room in the dark it's very easy to stub my toe on the drinks cabinet.

Very painful. And that's why I am afraid of the dark.

#91850 - 08/19/06 01:40 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: LatnIsSeiv]
Mr_47 Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Pure Imagination
When I was a boy, I had a firm belief in the supernatural. I always thought that the house we stayed in was haunted. I would often times be under the impression that something was in my room. Of course, eventually I realised it was all nonsense and then I grew out of it. These days the only thing I fear is stumbling in the dark and injuring myself. This happens from time to time especially since I work nights and my light switch is about 12 feet from the door. I must make it a point to place a lamp near my doorway.

#91851 - 08/19/06 02:17 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: LatnIsSeiv]
evildork Offline

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Everyone, no matter how old they are, feels nervousness going into the dark when they are unsure of the place. The nervousness is a safety mechanism, but the feeling eats at an especially cautious persons resolve. Twice as much for children, who can sometimes never be sure of the place, even if it's their own room.

#91852 - 08/19/06 09:52 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: LatnIsSeiv]
NiteWraith Offline

Loc: Emporia, Kansas
I have never really heard any really good ghost stories, at least not the type that would cause me to feel anything like you have described,, but then again,, im not really afraid of anything.

#91853 - 08/19/06 09:55 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: evildork]
NiteWraith Offline

I personally embrace the darkness... I feel it very exciting,, not scary,, too walk down a dark ally,, or into a room that is pitch black.

#91854 - 08/19/06 09:57 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: JustinR]
NiteWraith Offline

I have known a few that were afraid of the dark,, and it was quite wierd 2 b around them.

#91855 - 08/19/06 10:00 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: LatnIsSeiv]
Lust Offline

>>Question: Why are people afraid of the dark?

Answer: That's when all the Vampire's are out dugh.
�Love is one of the most intense feelings felt by man; another is hate. Forcing yourself to feel indiscriminate love is very unnatural. If you try to love everyone you only lessen your feelings for those who deserve your love. Repressed hatred can lead to many physical and emotional aliments. By learning to release your hatred towards those who deserve it, you cleanse yourself of these malignant emotions and need not take your pent-up hatred out on your loved ones.�
Anton Szandor LaVey, The Satanic Bible

#91856 - 08/19/06 11:01 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
S_Magazine Offline
CoS Witch

I have noticed that whenever I try and navigate my way around the room in the dark it's very easy to stub my toe on the drinks cabinet.

Very painful. And that's why I am afraid of the dark.

At least you have a painkiller handy when that happens.

#91857 - 08/19/06 11:28 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: NiteWraith]
dragondancer Offline

CoS Member

Quote:

I personally embrace the darkness... I feel it very exciting,, not scary,, too walk down a dark ally,, or into a room that is pitch black.

I don't know about you, but I was always taught to stay away from dark allies. Self Preservation and all....there are really evil things that lurk in those places.

Hail Satan!

Dragondancer
Temple of Vampire

#91858 - 08/20/06 12:46 AM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: LatnIsSeiv]
tovasshi Offline

Loc: Banana, Canada
Sometimes I pretend there are monsters in the dark waiting to attack. It makes the late night trip to the bathroom so much more entertaining.

#91859 - 08/20/06 02:54 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: LatnIsSeiv]
Dan_Dread Offline

Loc: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Quote:

Have you ever heard any good ghost stories? Did they make you uncomfortable, squeamish, or afraid? Do you remember the first time you heard about the monster in the closet, the monster under the bed, or the shadows that lurk in the dark at night? Do you still check under your bed or look in your closet? Do you sleep with the lights on or off? Do you leave your door cracked open?

Why are people afraid of the -- DARK? Have you ever considered that what you have been told as a child was a lie? The one thing I liked about the Disney movie Monsters, Inc. is that it showed you that your perceptions could be wrong...

Question: Why are people afraid of the dark?

Thank you for your time and feedback, in advance.

TSB:
Pg. 34 - Book 5; verse 8

TSR:
Pg. 14 - paragraph 4; line 1 – etc…

Hail Satan!

The dark is the time we were most vulnerable to predators at the time our emotional equiptment was being formed. Seem's a no brainer to me, from a physio-psychological POV.
For the record, whatever made you come to the conclusion that fear is the exclusive providence of humanity?
"One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike and yet it is the most precious thing we have." - Albert Einstein --------------------

#91860 - 08/20/06 03:28 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: Dan_Dread]
Easy Offline

actually i renember of hearing ghost storys and being afriad after that. like, a friend told me about the grim reaper, when i was... i don't really remind... 10, 11 years old or something like that. and once, me and my cousin where alone in my parent's caravan on the campsite while they had some get-together with friends in the campsite pub. she was turing on the tv and said "oh cool, a clown, let's watch this!". the clown was really cute on the beginning but after a few seconds we realized that we we were watching our fist horror movie - ES from stephen king. we were so afraid

#91861 - 08/22/06 09:58 AM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: Easy]
Coolvibe Offline

Loc: Rijswijk, The Netherlands
Fear can paralyse (sp?), but it can also have an opposite effect. Imagine that someone is so afraid his or her flee-instinct kicks in irrevocably, and moves a heavy car out of the way bare-handed that is blocking his or her safe exit? An extreme emotion can trigger immense willpower.

There are probably some unexplained biological phenomenae at work here that I can't explain, and said person might tear to shreds every muscle he/she used for that stunt, but needless to say: there is a place for emotions as powerful as fear. Even though they sometimes backfire on us. Okay, it might not be perfect, but it's a part of our animal selves that can get us out of a sticky situation when our ass is on the line.

I respect fear. I'm glad such an emotion exists. I would probably not be alive without it.

#91862 - 08/26/06 04:51 AM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: LatnIsSeiv]
princeofdarkness Offline

The way I see it is, life is to short to be fearing anything, live for the moment!

#91863 - 08/27/06 11:17 AM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: LatnIsSeiv]
StabAvery Offline

CoS Member

Loc: michigan
When I was young my parents basement used to give everyone a creepy feeling. I can remember watching countless people go down there and get whatever they were after then kill the light and come flying up the stairs. The large opening at the base of the stairs gave you a very vulnerable feeling at your back when you killed the lights. When I was about 12-13 years old I remember trying to look at this situation rationally and I went down there with the lights off and laid in the middle of the floor and waited for "it" to do whatever non-existent "it's" do. Nothng happened. I have never had a fearful feeling in the dark since. Oddly enough my dog is a little over protective and I only walk her at night. I think I may have become "that guy in the alley" people fear and keep thier kids inside from.

#91864 - 08/27/06 12:11 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: princeofdarkness]
The_Lightning Offline

Loc: Israel
Quote:

The way I see it is, life is to short to be fearing anything, live for the moment!

If you are fearless.. you're in deep shit.
Fear is motivating- if I wasn't to fear death, I wouldn't bother "living for the moment" since there is nowhere to rush… One should be afraid- just rationally and productively.

#91865 - 08/27/06 12:29 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: StabAvery]
The_Lightning Offline

Quote:

When I was about 12-13 years old I remember trying to look at this situation rationally and I went down there with the lights off and laid in the middle of the floor and waited for "it" to do whatever non-existent "it's" do. Nothng happened. I have never had a fearful feeling in the dark since.

That's the best thing one can do- just face his irrational fears rationally and get it over with. This might be more complexes to some than others- but it's worth getting rid of.

I am a totally nocturnal being- from the day I was born I preferred the night. There is no time I can concentrate better on myself than during the night. But I guess it's a combination of my low-blood pressure and my attention disorder that really make me resent the hot, crowded day-time.
Anyway, the only reason I fear the dark is because cockroaches seem to like it.

#91866 - 08/27/06 12:43 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: princeofdarkness]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

>>The way I see it is, life is to short to be fearing
>>anything, live for the moment!

Here's a response I wrote about 16 months back, before this thread was needlessly resurrected by "nightryde" (which I guess was his only purpose in being here, since that's the only post he ever made).

#91867 - 08/28/06 03:50 AM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: The_Lightning]
princeofdarkness Offline

>>>If you are fearless.. you're in deep shit.

Why? because I am not scared of fear, fear is just an emotion and for those who do not know how to control it are the one's in deep shit, the world we live in is now controlled by fear and if you are afraid of the dark then there is little chance you will survive out in the real world. Why should I let fear control my life it should be me in control of my emotions, because fear can stop you doing all sorts of things that you have wanted to do in your life, for example if you are scared of heights then you are never going to bungee jump unless you control fear and possibly staring death in the face is a huge rush of adrenaline.

#91868 - 08/28/06 05:55 AM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: princeofdarkness]
The_Lightning Offline

HOWEVER, you are not fearless… you are just not fearful. Big difference there.
Being "fearless" (a deviant state of mind) is what makes people do really stupid things and get themselves killed.

And anyway, I wrote:
Quote:

One should be afraid- just rationally and productively.

Try reading my whole post before you respond.

#91869 - 08/28/06 06:04 AM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: LatnIsSeiv]
_Aveth_ Offline

Fear of the dark?
Fear of the unknown...fear of the Inner Self

#91870 - 08/29/06 05:54 AM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: The_Lightning]
princeofdarkness Offline

You are not seeing my point of view and that is that I don't care about the fact that I may die doing a stupid thing like living my life the way I wish to live it, that's by setting myself challenges that challenge my emotions (fear), it's up to you how you live yours but don’t criticise others that wish to live life to the EXTREME!!

Quote:

One should be afraid- just rationally and productively.

BULLSHIT , you should never be afraid not even rationally, (in my opinion) fear gets you nowhere.

Live life to the full!!

#91871 - 08/29/06 06:41 AM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: princeofdarkness]
Easy Offline

fear is a self-protection. without fear, we were going to jeopardise ourselfs. the key is to control these emotion - overcome it when it's hindering, and listen to it when it's advisable.

#91872 - 08/29/06 12:09 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: Easy]
Zaria Offline

Loc: Canada
I dont find the dark scary so much as not being able to see what's around me. But personally I like to sit in the dark, if someone wants to come kill me or rape me then they're goin to do that whether im scared of it or not.

#91873 - 08/29/06 07:33 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: princeofdarkness]
The_Lightning Offline

Look- my point was that people need fear; fear is a good emotion when rationally utilized for your benefit. Is that clearer?
I agree that we shouldn't fear doing things that are good for us, I'm just saying that fear essential.
I agree being petrified and unable to live because of strong fear is counterproductive and unnecessary…
The "adrenaline rush" you get out of doing something dangerous is a side effect of subconscious fear. Fear becomes fun when you are doing something you rationally find pleasant and productive. There is definitely "good fear" and "fun-fear"- but it is basically still fear.
A total lack of fear, I think, occurs only when the subconscious is occupied by such emotional misery- that it fails to evoke the right reaction of fear when one is facing a life-threatening situation. Depressed people don't fear death.

#91874 - 08/30/06 01:25 AM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: _Aveth_]
Foxy_Ramirez Offline

Loc: Lawrence, KS
Don't over analyze it. People have good reason to be afraid of the dark. Because usually people like us are in it.

#91875 - 08/30/06 05:21 AM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: The_Lightning]
Easy Offline

@The_Lightning : ack, it wouldn't be that funny to be in a rollercoaster if you wouldn't be afraid at all! fear can make things more intressting.

Edited by VoDKa (08/30/06 05:22 AM)

#91876 - 08/30/06 09:56 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: LatnIsSeiv]
Revoluto Offline

Loc: Peru
I used to be afraid of the dark as a child (i think im not the only one) But after I had sex for the first time I wasnt afraid anymore. The dark now only remainds me of how much fun you can have when no one sees you

#91877 - 08/31/06 08:31 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: LatnIsSeiv]
leonor Offline

Loc: Portugal
Most of my paintings background is black. And it's very suggesting. You could plunge your arm inside. Or suddenly imagine a shape within. Dark can be anything. That's how I see it. Combine that with the creepy imagery of the stories you were told as a child and your own imagination..

Curiously enough, half-darkness and shades used to be scarier than complete darkness in my childhood. I remembered I hated open doors.

Consciously I'm no longer afraid of the dark, but I have this recurrent dream upon which no light can be ever turned on. Go figure…
Time does not imply evolution. Very true. We are stepping back. One generates haunting monsters that generate haunting monsters on an endless spiral of misunderstanding, unsolved needs, moral amulets eradicating both the sickness and the cure.
I see a bunch of men raging at the void, haunted by their own inventions. Absurd. Totally absurd.

#91878 - 08/31/06 08:36 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: leonor]
dragondancer Offline

CoS Member

Quote:

Consciously I'm no longer afraid of the dark, but I have this recurrent dream upon which no light can be ever turned on. Go figure…

Well...the way I figure, you are not afraid of the dark, but of the light! Now that makes sense. It's those things that lurk in the light that bother me.

Hail Satan!

Dragondancer
Temple of Vampire

#91879 - 12/02/06 02:55 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: dragondancer]
Evil_Eve Offline
CoS Member

Loc: 1313 Mockingbird Lane
Quote:

Quote:

Well...the way I figure, you are not afraid of the dark, but of the light! Now that makes sense. It's those things that lurk in the light that bother me.

Hail Satan!

Indeed!

To see a 400 pound fundamentalist woman in sweat pants come at me with an egg stain on the tee shirt she sports proudly proclaiming "JESUS SAVES!"??

PASS.

Let her slip and slide by me in the dark thank you very much.

There are some things I fear that eyes are not to be subjected to.

I LIKE the dark, it's those creatures of the day that frighten me ever so much.

HS!

"Our religion does not require martyrs."
Magistra Nadramia.

FEARED!
Revered.
YOU can be a voice for the voiceless.

#91880 - 12/04/06 12:08 AM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: Evil_Eve]
redheadgrl Offline

Quote:

To see a 400 pound fundamentalist woman in sweat pants come at me with an egg stain on the tee shirt she sports proudly proclaiming "JESUS SAVES!"??

PASS.

Absolutely hilarious Evil_Eve! And one reason I'll never be sorry I left the bible belt and the no-fun-fundies in the dust....

#91881 - 12/04/06 07:46 AM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: LatnIsSeiv]
unholy_dragon Offline

Loc: london, england
When i was in my childhood i was scared of the dark and kept my bedroom door open to let in the hall light in. I even at a very young age i was scared of even going in my own room and had to sleep with my sisters. This was only due to some bad experience with unexplained activity in the night.

As i got older i became less frightened of the dark and even found i sleep better in the dark. As an adult I become to understand fear and to this day have not yet found anything that is in my enviroment that i am afraid of.

#91882 - 12/04/06 08:06 AM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: unholy_dragon]
Evil_Eve Offline
CoS Member

I would be delighted to sleep with some Sisters in the dark whilst unexplained activity took place.

For good measure, a Priest or two could join us and that would make it all the more lovely.

Magistra Nadramia.

FEARED!
Revered.

#91883 - 12/04/06 10:09 AM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: LatnIsSeiv]
Zaftig Offline
CoS Witch

I love the dark, always have.

It freaks my city friends out though, who have grown up with constant stimuli. Even if they don't notice the white noise anymore, they feel uneasy when it is absent. In that way, they fear silence, not darkness.

#91884 - 12/04/06 02:18 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: LatnIsSeiv]
Evil_i Offline

People do have an aversion to the dark, but it was pointed out in a previous post that children are afraid of the dark if they feel there either meant to be or they can see personal advantage in being scared (note; not acting scared, but being scared).

Id also like to point out that to the best of our knowledge, pre historic humanity was not scared of the dark, but of what the dark may camouflage.And with good reason, considering we started out as leopard bait.

Then again, maybe if youre not scared...youre not paying attention?

"Have you ever considered that what you have been told as a child was a lie? "

thats pretty much how i ended up here

#91885 - 12/04/06 07:41 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: Zaftig]
redheadgrl Offline

Feed their fear-they can huddle up under their florescents and incadescents indoors and I'll enjoy the night even more in their absence.

#91886 - 12/05/06 05:05 AM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: LatnIsSeiv]
unholy_dragon Offline

Fear does have a role to play in nature that helps the individual to survive.
Without fear you would not run from a predator or attack in defense.

Fear in itself gives you the energy of “Fight or Flight”, enabling you to do something at the slightest moment if needed.

Religion has created the fear of dark even creating the fear of god himself.
You probably got told by a religious person “are you not afraid of god”.
To me that almost sound like “Terrorism” and today man is fighting religious extremist for terrorism.

Those who tell me to fear god, I reply “why should I fear myself”.

#91887 - 12/05/06 10:53 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: LatnIsSeiv]
slayermet420 Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
It's simple. People are afraid of the dark because they're afraid of the unknown.

#91888 - 12/06/06 12:56 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: slayermet420]
Alia Offline
CoS Member

Loc: At Sorrow's End
Is it certain that it is the dark they're afraid of, and not just their own imagination?

Carpe Noctem

#91889 - 12/07/06 04:34 AM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: Evil_Eve]
unholy_dragon Offline

Yeah i miss thoughs days pity i can not turn back time.

Is it natrual to fancy your own sisters?

#91890 - 12/07/06 02:59 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: LatnIsSeiv]
ang3ldust Offline

Loc: marshalltown,ia
I think it is because for the most part for most people that you can't see anything in the dark so they fear the worst, where as when you are put into sunlight you can see everything.

#91891 - 12/07/06 03:09 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: LatnIsSeiv]
ModernTantalus Offline

I personally have no fear of the dark. In fact, it makes me feel more comfortable. I have excellent night vision. Much better than most people, plus I know my own surroundings. Anything that would threaten me is much worse off in the dark than in the light. Darkness gives me the advantage so it's preferable over the light where I'm on equal footing with my foe.

#91892 - 12/07/06 03:16 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: ang3ldust]
Groundhog Offline

I wonder why people think in this day and age that fearing the dark is a realistic fear to have? Darkness is just an absence of light. I think that fear of darkness is caused by superstition that when the sun goes down evil is let loose into the world. I think that religion has a lot to do with that concept. That's why I believe that rellgion is our biggest fear inducer. Most religion's have a motive to inducing fear. It brings converts and with converts brings power and money. Be in control of yourself and don't let irrational fears have any control over you.

Edited by ooo (12/07/06 04:18 PM)

#91893 - 12/07/06 07:12 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: Groundhog]
Zaftig Offline
CoS Witch

Quote:

Be in control of yourself and don't let irrational fears have any control over you.

Yes, and yet, sometimes I enjoy letting my imagination run...I can quite easily scare myself silly. But then I enjoy bringing myself back down. Perhaps it's a purging ritual in itself; allowing the fear to thrive in order to gain some control over it. I used to do it as a kid too.

Anybody else experience this sort of thing?

#91894 - 12/07/06 07:18 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: Zaftig]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: A Trailer Park
Absolutely. I do it over and over again - it's one of the reasons I love horror movies. Most horror movies just aren't that good but I am very good at suspension of disbelief. I can talk myself into absolute certainty that there is someone standing at the window looking at me or standing behind me in the dark. Like you, I work myself into a complete frenzy and then get through it. It's rather cathartic.
"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us – all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

We're Just Regular People

#91895 - 12/07/06 07:40 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: Zaftig]
Groundhog Offline

I let my mind wander wherever I want it to take me. Sometimes I do scare myself a bit but I know it's all about what I allow myself to think. As with a good horror movie. It's only a movie even if you allow yourself to think about it as what if, what if you were stuck in an old isolated house with Mr. Wise and the phone line was cut? Well, would you allow yourself to be in that situation, I mean no cell phone, and honestly, why are you driving through Texas anyway? What if you do get bitten by a poisonous snake or spider? Medical science has cures for the venoms as long as you can get to a doctor. I do like allowing for some mystery in life and a little bit of shiver down the spine. The adrenalin is worth it once the fear is realized as irrational. It is irrational isn't it?

#91896 - 12/07/06 08:18 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: Groundhog]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Quote:

and honestly, why are you driving through Texas anyway?

ooo, you crack me up!

Quote:

It is irrational isn't it?

I think there are irrational fears but basic fear is your mind telling you you might want to get the fuck out of there.
"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us – all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

#91897 - 12/08/06 11:38 AM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: ang3ldust]
Chess Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Chicago, IL USA
Quote:

where as when you are put into sunlight you can see everything.

...are you certain of that?

-Chess

#91898 - 12/23/06 04:39 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: Evil_i]
darklady Offline

Loc: uk
I say your not born scared of the dark as (there no light switch in the womb) it really how your brought up and your surrounding’s and the stories your told.

It all down to the kid’s nature as well some grow up not being scared of the dark no matter what they being told or otherwise but there is a few that go along with what been told and fear the shadows of what might be (baggie man or the unknown).

Look back when we didn’t have any lights or firer to light the way in the night do you think we be where we are today if all of them were scared of the dark if so we wouldn’t have found ways to help us combat our weakness’ (eyes not as good as owls) they needed people to test to see what worked and what didn’t. (People was scared of the unknown including light that wasn’t from the sun)

So you see how you can be scared of some think you don’t start with unless it been put there?

#91899 - 12/23/06 07:36 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: unholy_dragon]
darklady Offline

Me personally I never been afraid of the dark not even when I was a kid I hated the light mainly even thoe I had a mum and sister that didn’t like the dark always had to have a light on which I never understood the reason behind it.

Mind you nothing much scares me as yet as you never know what round the corner.
I been through a lot in my life so far that wasn’t nice so now I say why be scared if it going to happen then there not much you can do about it.
I learnt along time ago to face my fears head on rather than run away from it if I did I wouldn’t be who I am today.

The only thing you got to be afraid of is fear it self

#91900 - 12/23/06 07:47 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: darklady]
Mr Sam Offline

Loc: Somewhere in the UK.
Quote:

Cliché and untrue.

#91901 - 12/24/06 01:47 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: Mr Sam]
darklady Offline

Quote:

Quote:

Cliché and untrue.

maybe so to most people but it down to what everyone believes

#91902 - 12/24/06 02:06 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: darklady]
Poetaster Offline
CoS Member

Loc: East Coast, USA.
Fear is rather productive in certain situations; goes with that whole self-preservation idea that most rational people accept.

It's important, refreshing and often exciting in the right conditions.
"People who harbor strong convictions without evidence belong at the margins of our societies, not in our halls of power. The only thing we should respect in a person’s faith is his desire for a better life in this world; we need never have respected his certainty that one awaits him in the next."

- Sam Harris

#91903 - 12/24/06 03:53 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: darklady]
Minus Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Circling A Star
Quote:

I don't think anyone believes "the only thing to fear is fear itself" as they are being eaten by an alligator. I think they might actually fear the alligator.

"When the great lord passes, the wise peasant bows deeply and silently farts."
-Ethiopian Proverb

#91904 - 12/24/06 04:41 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: Minus]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Quote:

I don't think anyone believes "the only thing to fear is fear itself" as they are being eaten by an alligator. I think they might actually fear the alligator.

And bees. Alligators and bees.

#91905 - 12/24/06 04:55 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: Shade]
Evil_Eve Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

Quote:

And bees.
Alligators and bees.

And never forget the BADGERS!

I fear the Badger.

Magistra Nadramia.

FEARED!
Revered.

#91906 - 12/24/06 05:00 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: Poetaster]
Catalyst Offline
Banned

Loc: Atwater, Ohio
I am not too sure about this. Truly, there is only 2 things in the world I am afraid of- Horses, and well, the other is too irrational for me to want to share. Anyway- I have never found this to interfere with self-preservation and I also have found that people who are afraid of things, certain things, spend more time worrying about their counter-productive fears than accomplishing some tasks.

#91907 - 12/24/06 09:39 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: Catalyst]
Poetaster Offline
CoS Member

Fear can be a motivating force.

It's the precipitating evolutionary force behind the "fight or flight" mechanism.

Irrational fear is not the same as genuine and necessary fear. Your fear of horses is quite likely a phobia. Phobias are generally irrational fears. But somehow, I think you'd be frightened of a knife-wielding maniac intent on gutting you. If you weren't, then you're a bad mother fucker.

Fear of things that SHOULD elicit fear is productive in that it allows you to identify danger and then act accordingly to preserve your life. If the action is to freeze up and do nothing, then that's a shame, but it doesn't denote fear to an inferior position.
"People who harbor strong convictions without evidence belong at the margins of our societies, not in our halls of power. The only thing we should respect in a person’s faith is his desire for a better life in this world; we need never have respected his certainty that one awaits him in the next."

- Sam Harris

#91908 - 12/25/06 05:00 AM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: Minus]
darklady Offline

Quote:

Quote:

well it wasn't meant like that what is the chance's of that happening .
It like people wont do stuff as they fear what might happen or wont go out side as they fear open spaces or thay fear small spaces.
It the fear that stops people but fear there for a reason but some are missed placed depending on what they fear and how it came about in the first place.

#91909 - 12/25/06 05:12 AM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: darklady]
Rory_Rocketpants Offline
CoS Member

Loc: unknown
Quote:

It the fear that stops people but fear there for a reason but some are missed placed depending on what they fear and how it came about in the first place.

Uhhhhhhhhhhh...

...What?

#91910 - 12/25/06 07:16 AM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: darklady]
Minus Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

what is the chance's of that happening .

Being eaten by an alligator? 50% You either will be eaten by an alligator or you won't.

-Ethiopian Proverb

#91911 - 12/25/06 08:03 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: Minus]
Rory_Rocketpants Offline
CoS Member

I disagree, MinusXIII.

I think the odds are not so equally stacked...

How many american-city dwellers are gonna get eaten by an alligator? 1%? If that....

How many african fishermen will get eaten by alligators? The odds are a lot higher.

#91912 - 12/26/06 06:19 AM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: Rory_Rocketpants]
Minus Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

I disagree, MinusXIII.

You disagree with my joke? Geez, you could have just not laughed. Hurt my feelings, why don't you...

-Ethiopian Proverb

#91913 - 12/26/06 07:07 AM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: Minus]
Rory_Rocketpants Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

You disagree with my joke? Geez, you could have just not laughed. Hurt my feelings, why don't you...

I'm sorry, my humour gland is on the blink...

#91914 - 12/26/06 09:12 AM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: Poetaster]
Catalyst Offline
Banned

Quote:

Fear can be a motivating force.

It's the precipitating evolutionary force behind the "fight or flight" mechanism.

Irrational fear is not the same as genuine and necessary fear. Your fear of horses is quite likely a phobia. Phobias are generally irrational fears. But somehow, I think you'd be frightened of a knife-wielding maniac intent on gutting you. If you weren't, then you're a bad mother fucker.

Fear of things that SHOULD elicit fear is productive in that it allows you to identify danger and then act accordingly to preserve your life. If the action is to freeze up and do nothing, then that's a shame, but it doesn't denote fear to an inferior position.

You may be right, my fear of horses could be very irrational and just a phobia, as well as my other fear. As far as the knife weilding maniac is concerned- no, I am not scared. It is not too difficult to disarm someone like that provided you know what to do, and then cause them some serious pain and physical damage. I have had a shotgun pointed at my chest (long story) and simply brought the barrel to my forehead and told him to make it count. Not even death itself scares me, but dont label me a "bad motherfucker" for it. As I said before- not too damn much in this world scares me.

#91917 - 12/26/06 09:47 AM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: Catalyst]
Poetaster Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

I have had a shotgun pointed at my chest (long story) and simply brought the barrel to my forehead and told him to make it count.

That was a smart thing to do...

- Sam Harris

#91918 - 12/26/06 09:48 AM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: Poetaster]
Catalyst Offline
Banned

Like I said- Long story

#91920 - 12/26/06 09:54 AM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: Catalyst]
Minus Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

I have had a shotgun pointed at my chest (long story) and simply brought the barrel to my forehead and told him to make it count.

Since you already had the barrel in your hand maybe you could have aimed it away from yourself entirely.

Quote:

As far as the knife weilding maniac is concerned- no, I am not scared. It is not too difficult to disarm someone like that provided you know what to do

You could always put the knife to your own throat and tell him to make it count.

-Ethiopian Proverb

#91921 - 12/26/06 09:57 AM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: Minus]
Poetaster Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

Since you already had the barrel in your hand maybe you could have aimed it away from yourself entirely.

We can't get too judgemental, that's what scared people would do. Ascendancy is fearless with a capital "F."

Quote:

You could always put the knife to your own throat and tell him to make it count.

Why do that, when you can just karate chop your way to safety?

Edited by AmbientLogic (12/26/06 10:07 AM)

- Sam Harris

#91938 - 12/26/06 06:13 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: LatnIsSeiv]
luciferHammer Offline
Banned

Because it is more easy for a monster hides himself in the dark. That also goes for enemies, robbers, maniacs, killers, rapers, etc...

There is also those lack of self-confidence of those civilized. They have never had, even been conditioned not to face the dark.

#91944 - 12/26/06 07:55 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: LatnIsSeiv]
lazer_beast Offline

Loc: Sol III
My response to "Why are people afraid of the dark?":

People are afraid of the dark because darkness represents the unknown. People rely so much on light for information, they're unware that even in darkness, they can still feel. People are uncomfortable in the unknown because they aren't aware enough to choose to listen or smell or feel, and so they have no control. People fear lack of control.

Am I wrong?

#91945 - 12/27/06 04:01 AM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: darklady]
blaskhyrk Offline

Loc: Poland
I think that the darkness is afraids by some beleviers, like christians and the oothers, for them darkness is evil for us - freedom. That is logical that those poor people will be afraid of the darkness, like in iron maiden's song fear of the dark - it is unnessesary and stupid to afraid it. For the brave world was made.

#91947 - 12/28/06 07:04 AM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: lazer_beast]
DecadentHeroine Offline

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Quote:

My response to "Why are people afraid of the dark?":

People are afraid of the dark because darkness represents the unknown. People rely so much on light for information, they're unware that even in darkness, they can still feel. People are uncomfortable in the unknown because they aren't aware enough to choose to listen or smell or feel, and so they have no control. People fear lack of control.

Am I wrong?

I agree, that's pretty much what I was going to write. We are led to beleive throughout life [by society, media, stories, etc] that monsters and murderers and communists lurk in the shadows and want to kill you. I have learned when walking on a dark street to supress any fears and summon adrenalin so I can fight off/escape whatever comes without panicing.

As a child I used to have a fear of bright lights. They worried me more because they can blind you and I think my eyes are sensitive to light or something.

The darkness allows your imagination to roam, and many people imagine that things they fear will come out of it. For example, when opening a present, you would expect soemthing pelasant, but when going into a dark place you expect monsters.

#91948 - 12/28/06 01:45 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: DecadentHeroine]
Goetia Offline

Loc: Australia
Quote:

We are led to beleive throughout life [by society, media, stories, etc] that monsters and murderers and communists lurk in the shadows and want to kill you.

I think this is very much the cause, at least in my case. When I feel afraid of the dark, it's nearly always when I'm in my own home and letting myself think about stories I've read or silly movies I've seen. It's purely my imagination working, and a completely irrational fear. Equally irrationally, I can walk down an empty city street at night and not feel afraid at all, even though I know I should be wary.

Edited by Goetia (12/28/06 01:46 PM)
Intellectual despair results in neither weakness nor dreams, but in violence. It is only a matter of knowing how to give vent to one's rage; whether one only wants to wander like madmen around prisons, or whether one wants to overturn them. - Georges Bataille

#91949 - 12/28/06 06:50 PM I'm afraid of the dark because I ran out of matches... [Re: Goetia]
Old_Pig Offline

Quote:

Quote:

We are led to beleive throughout life [by society, media, stories, etc] that monsters and murderers and communists lurk in the shadows and want to kill you.

I think this is very much the cause, at least in my case. When I feel afraid of the dark, it's nearly always when I'm in my own home and letting myself think about stories I've read or silly movies I've seen. It's purely my imagination working, and a completely irrational fear. Equally irrationally, I can walk down an empty city street at night and not feel afraid at all, even though I know I should be wary.

Some people like to complicate things and find intricate conspiracies and elaborate esoteric explanations behind everything.

I find ridiculous how this topic has been active for months, and people keep piling up one ridiculous explanation after another, blaming some kind of cultural programming or sinister religious brainwashing for what it’s just a natural instinct.

People are afraid of the dark because you can’t see in the dark. That’s it! You can trip and break your nose, or you can fall in a hole. Any person with a healthy conservation instinct avoids going into a dark place without a flashlight.

#91950 - 12/28/06 07:02 PM Re: I'm afraid of the dark because I ran out of matches... [Re: Old_Pig]
Goetia Offline

Loc: Australia
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Some people like to complicate things and find intricate conspiracies and elaborate esoteric explanations behind everything.

I certainly didn't mean to do that. My point was more that I don't seem to have much an instinctive fear of the dark, unless I let my imagination get the better of me. I probably should have clarified that I don't blame society or the media for this, but my own tendency to dwell on fictitious stories.
Intellectual despair results in neither weakness nor dreams, but in violence. It is only a matter of knowing how to give vent to one's rage; whether one only wants to wander like madmen around prisons, or whether one wants to overturn them. - Georges Bataille

#91951 - 12/28/06 07:14 PM Re: I'm afraid of the dark because I ran out of matches... [Re: Goetia]
Minus Offline
CoS Member

Somebody shoot this thread...

-Ethiopian Proverb

#91952 - 12/28/06 07:40 PM Re: I'm afraid of the dark because I ran out of matches... [Re: Goetia]
Old_Pig Offline

I'm sorry if it looked like I was referring only to you. Yours was just the last post. I was making fun on the theme of this thread in general, not your specific post.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Forum Stats
12104 Members
73 Forums
43869 Topics
405514 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements