Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#91849 - 08/19/06 01:28 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: LatnIsSeiv]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: England
>> Why are people afraid of the -- DARK? <<

I have noticed that whenever I try and navigate my way around the room in the dark it's very easy to stub my toe on the drinks cabinet.

Very painful. And that's why I am afraid of the dark.

www.uvray.moonfruit.com

#91850 - 08/19/06 01:40 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: LatnIsSeiv]
Mr_47 Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Pure Imagination
When I was a boy, I had a firm belief in the supernatural. I always thought that the house we stayed in was haunted. I would often times be under the impression that something was in my room. Of course, eventually I realised it was all nonsense and then I grew out of it. These days the only thing I fear is stumbling in the dark and injuring myself. This happens from time to time especially since I work nights and my light switch is about 12 feet from the door. I must make it a point to place a lamp near my doorway.

#91851 - 08/19/06 02:17 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: LatnIsSeiv]
evildork Offline

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Everyone, no matter how old they are, feels nervousness going into the dark when they are unsure of the place. The nervousness is a safety mechanism, but the feeling eats at an especially cautious persons resolve. Twice as much for children, who can sometimes never be sure of the place, even if it's their own room.

#91852 - 08/19/06 09:52 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: LatnIsSeiv]
NiteWraith Offline

Loc: Emporia, Kansas
I have never really heard any really good ghost stories, at least not the type that would cause me to feel anything like you have described,, but then again,, im not really afraid of anything.

#91853 - 08/19/06 09:55 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: evildork]
NiteWraith Offline

I personally embrace the darkness... I feel it very exciting,, not scary,, too walk down a dark ally,, or into a room that is pitch black.

#91854 - 08/19/06 09:57 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: JustinR]
NiteWraith Offline

I have known a few that were afraid of the dark,, and it was quite wierd 2 b around them.

#91855 - 08/19/06 10:00 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: LatnIsSeiv]
Lust Offline

>>Question: Why are people afraid of the dark?

Answer: That's when all the Vampire's are out dugh.
�Love is one of the most intense feelings felt by man; another is hate. Forcing yourself to feel indiscriminate love is very unnatural. If you try to love everyone you only lessen your feelings for those who deserve your love. Repressed hatred can lead to many physical and emotional aliments. By learning to release your hatred towards those who deserve it, you cleanse yourself of these malignant emotions and need not take your pent-up hatred out on your loved ones.�
Anton Szandor LaVey, The Satanic Bible

#91856 - 08/19/06 11:01 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
S_Magazine Offline
CoS Witch

I have noticed that whenever I try and navigate my way around the room in the dark it's very easy to stub my toe on the drinks cabinet.

Very painful. And that's why I am afraid of the dark.

At least you have a painkiller handy when that happens.

#91857 - 08/19/06 11:28 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: NiteWraith]
dragondancer Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Virginia
Quote:

I personally embrace the darkness... I feel it very exciting,, not scary,, too walk down a dark ally,, or into a room that is pitch black.

I don't know about you, but I was always taught to stay away from dark allies. Self Preservation and all....there are really evil things that lurk in those places.

Hail Satan!
"It does take an exceptional mind and a still more exceptional integrity to remain untouched by the brain-destroying influences of the world's doctrines, the accumulated evil of the centuries-to remain human, since the human is the rational." Dr. Akston in Atlas Shrugged

"Not life, but good life, is to be chiefly valued." Socrates

Dragondancer
Temple of Vampire

#91858 - 08/20/06 12:46 AM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: LatnIsSeiv]
tovasshi Offline

Loc: Banana, Canada
Sometimes I pretend there are monsters in the dark waiting to attack. It makes the late night trip to the bathroom so much more entertaining.

#91859 - 08/20/06 02:54 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: LatnIsSeiv]
Dan_Dread Offline

Loc: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Quote:

Have you ever heard any good ghost stories? Did they make you uncomfortable, squeamish, or afraid? Do you remember the first time you heard about the monster in the closet, the monster under the bed, or the shadows that lurk in the dark at night? Do you still check under your bed or look in your closet? Do you sleep with the lights on or off? Do you leave your door cracked open?

Why are people afraid of the -- DARK? Have you ever considered that what you have been told as a child was a lie? The one thing I liked about the Disney movie Monsters, Inc. is that it showed you that your perceptions could be wrong...

Question: Why are people afraid of the dark?

Remember that FEAR is a human emotion.

Thank you for your time and feedback, in advance.

TSB:
Pg. 34 - Book 5; verse 8

TSR:
Pg. 14 - paragraph 4; line 1 etc

Hail Satan!

The dark is the time we were most vulnerable to predators at the time our emotional equiptment was being formed. Seem's a no brainer to me, from a physio-psychological POV.
For the record, whatever made you come to the conclusion that fear is the exclusive providence of humanity?
"One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike and yet it is the most precious thing we have." - Albert Einstein --------------------

#91860 - 08/20/06 03:28 PM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: Dan_Dread]
Easy Offline

actually i renember of hearing ghost storys and being afriad after that. like, a friend told me about the grim reaper, when i was... i don't really remind... 10, 11 years old or something like that. and once, me and my cousin where alone in my parent's caravan on the campsite while they had some get-together with friends in the campsite pub. she was turing on the tv and said "oh cool, a clown, let's watch this!". the clown was really cute on the beginning but after a few seconds we realized that we we were watching our fist horror movie - ES from stephen king. we were so afraid

#91861 - 08/22/06 09:58 AM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: Easy]
Coolvibe Offline

Loc: Rijswijk, The Netherlands
Fear can paralyse (sp?), but it can also have an opposite effect. Imagine that someone is so afraid his or her flee-instinct kicks in irrevocably, and moves a heavy car out of the way bare-handed that is blocking his or her safe exit? An extreme emotion can trigger immense willpower.

There are probably some unexplained biological phenomenae at work here that I can't explain, and said person might tear to shreds every muscle he/she used for that stunt, but needless to say: there is a place for emotions as powerful as fear. Even though they sometimes backfire on us. Okay, it might not be perfect, but it's a part of our animal selves that can get us out of a sticky situation when our ass is on the line.

I respect fear. I'm glad such an emotion exists. I would probably not be alive without it.

#91862 - 08/26/06 04:51 AM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: LatnIsSeiv]
princeofdarkness Offline

Loc: England
The way I see it is, life is to short to be fearing anything, live for the moment!

#91863 - 08/27/06 11:17 AM Re: Why are people afraid of the dark? [Re: LatnIsSeiv]
StabAvery Offline

CoS Member

Loc: michigan
When I was young my parents basement used to give everyone a creepy feeling. I can remember watching countless people go down there and get whatever they were after then kill the light and come flying up the stairs. The large opening at the base of the stairs gave you a very vulnerable feeling at your back when you killed the lights. When I was about 12-13 years old I remember trying to look at this situation rationally and I went down there with the lights off and laid in the middle of the floor and waited for "it" to do whatever non-existent "it's" do. Nothng happened. I have never had a fearful feeling in the dark since. Oddly enough my dog is a little over protective and I only walk her at night. I think I may have become "that guy in the alley" people fear and keep thier kids inside from.

Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Forum Stats
12117 Members
73 Forums
43875 Topics
405557 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements