Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#92018 - 04/10/05 05:41 AM Tiki!
LissaLush Offline

Loc: Ohio
So who else here loves and collects tiki stuff?

I got a very cool and very large amber glass tiki mug at the flea market today for $2. Ohio is rather lame in many aspects, but our thrift store and flea market possiblities are awfully pleasant at times.

#92019 - 04/12/05 08:58 PM Re: Tiki! [Re: LissaLush]
Krowklaws Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Salem MA
Greetings LissaLush,
I have tried to resist the dreaded curse of the very swanky TIKI much to my surprise, I now find myself quite under their demonic power!
I think why Satanic people may like the TIKI is because the TIKI represents the taboo'd object of magic in the Hawaiian topics, (Can you say Greg Brady and surfing accident? Alice getting stuck in the hula? Bobby and the spider?) , sexy virgins getting naked and being thrown into volcanoes by their hunky priests , and the cursed lava rocks that seem to always find themselves getting mailed back to the island they where clipped from by a now ill fated tourist!

Magic is not their only power. They seem to also be the grinning tempters of an earlier day. A day when the worse consequence one would get from an evening of drinking and driving from your local Chinese cocktail lounge, was a ride home from the nice officer who was kind enough to stop you before you hit something.
This carved faced Spirit of stone, whose ridiculous rictus grin, still beckons us today to sip intoxicating elixirs from his hollow head. Still he teases us who crave the swanky, sultry, fun of the "Polynesian invasion" (The 50's to the 70's when Hawaii was new to us!) to drink up his offerings!
All magic; The TIKI'S primitive taboos yet retro-sophistication radiate from him. Suffering Bastards, Zombies, Love Potions, and many other names and images secret the TIKI into this New Millennium of crystallization! Who can resist these awesome stone critters!?
Infernally Yours,
Krow
"Singapore Slings anyone, my round, I'm buying?"

#92020 - 04/13/05 11:24 AM Re: Tiki! [Re: LissaLush]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: New England, USA
>>So who else here loves and collects tiki stuff?

I've got a number of mugs and I'm looking to see my collection grow. My favorite is a tall, black tiki mug that I actually got from a local Chinese/Polynesian restaurant.

I'm much more into the "tiki" music, though. You can find a thread in the music section that I started on 1950s Exotica. I have over a dozen albums from the genre that I listen to. I was very sad when I heard the news that Martin Denny, my favorite in this genre and one of my over-all favorites in any music, passed away at the beginning of March.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's ‹bersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#92021 - 04/15/05 06:41 AM Re: Tiki! [Re: LissaLush]
Bloodfire Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Honolulu, HI
Oh boy, here's one of my obsessions.

I have Tiki's on my altar, bookshelves, masks on my walls--they're everywhere. I even own a pair of Tiki boxer shorts! (yeah, too much information)

I've been stuck on Tikis ever since I was a kid. Walking home one day with my mother when I was around 6 years old, we passed a scupltor's shop which was just about ready for their grand opening. I met the owner (he greeted me as we passed, noticing how I stared inside). We were invited in to look around and I got stuck on one of his small tiki sculptures. I couldn't take my eyes off it, so he said I could have it. You can imagine my excitement.

That was the beginning of the end for me.

My elementary school's mascot was a very similar tiki. I wore the school T-shirt proudly because of it.

Bloodfire9.com | Bloodfire! Store - Satanic-themed Merchandise
TheQuintessentials.com - Satanic Horror Punk Rock
Other places to find The Quintessentials:
MySpace | Facebook | Twitter | Undercroft | YouTube | ReverbNation

#92022 - 04/15/05 07:47 AM Re: Tiki! [Re: Bloodfire]
MagistraNadramia Offline

CoS HighPriestess

Loc: Hell's Kitchen, NYC
>My elementary school's mascot was a very similar tiki. I wore the school T-shirt proudly because of it.

Now that certainly beats the symbol used by a Catholic grade school here in Hell's Kitchen: the Sacred Heart of Jesus!

As some of you know, having visited my Hell's Kitchen Tiki bar, my obsession with Tiki decor and cocktail culture is limited only by space. Volcano bowls were my last focus; having acquired a good specimen, now I'm looking for my next fixture.

Magistra Peggy Nadramia

Please email me with your membership questions - PMs may not be answered.
www.churchofsatan.com
HPNadramia@churchofsatan.com

#92023 - 04/15/05 09:19 AM Re: Tiki! [Re: MagistraNadramia]
Bloodfire Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Honolulu, HI
It also helped that the shirt was black on red. I didn't care for the red on yellow version as much.

Believe it or not, tiki items aren't as easy to find in Honolulu as one might expect.

Oh, and to Bill: Higoat just sent me some great exotica tunes--Les Baxter, Yma Sumac and Martin Denny.

I wonder how I could possibly blend the influence into what I currently play.

Bloodfire9.com | Bloodfire! Store - Satanic-themed Merchandise
TheQuintessentials.com - Satanic Horror Punk Rock
Other places to find The Quintessentials:
MySpace | Facebook | Twitter | Undercroft | YouTube | ReverbNation

#92024 - 04/15/05 10:26 AM Re: Tiki! [Re: Bloodfire]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Magister

>>Oh, and to Bill: Higoat just sent me some great exotica
>>tunes--Les Baxter, Yma Sumac and Martin Denny.

Ah yes, the unholy Tiki trio. Hope you're enjoying them.

>>I wonder how I could possibly blend the influence into
>>what I currently play.

Hmm. I suppose that trying to do a few covers is one way to get the influence "rubbing off" on one's playing. Most musicians seem to be primarily influenced with what they've sat down to play. Some of the more minor-key melodies might sound nice translated to guitar. I could definitely hear something like Denny's "Hong Kong Blues" as a sort of up-beat punk song. And aside from the instruments there are a few general elements that make these styles what they are. I've noticed Denny used a lot of staccato in his playing, Baxter seemed to go for a wall-of-sound approach, etc.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,

(Wenn du Google's ‹bersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#92025 - 04/20/05 12:30 PM Re: Tiki! [Re: LissaLush]
Krowklaws Offline
CoS Warlock

Special News Bulletin: TIKIS shanghai Salem Witch at Local Shopping Mall.

The dreaded curse of the TIKI has struck again! While innocently shopping in one of the upscale malls in the Northshore I was suddenly shanghaied by an onslaught of homeless TIKIS!
Needless to say, they now have a new home and Spencer Gifts is 579.83 richer!
This summer my whole back yard will be "TIKIFIED" complete with a TIKI BAR, TIKI TORCHES, and every guest leaves with a wearable ceramic TIKI shot glass.
Anyone want to put on some Ultra Lounge music, and bring out the blender and rum?!
Infernally Yours,
Krow :FIREdevil

#92026 - 04/20/05 01:21 PM blender and rum [Re: Krowklaws]
Remorazz Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Sounds like a party...
Always wanted to visit Salem.
HS! G We have wasted far too much time explaining that Satanism has nothing to do with kidnapping, drug abuse, child molestation, animal or child sacrifice , or any number of other acts that idiots, hysterics or opportunists would like to credit us with. By Anton Szandor LaVey ©1988 PENTAGONAL REVISIONISM: A FIVE-POINT PROGRAM ~Special Thanks to: Agent Jack Malebranche for his permission to use his art in my avatar.~ SETI Combat Camera Cool Products

#92027 - 04/20/05 01:30 PM Re: blender and rum [Re: Remorazz]
Ceallach Offline

Loc: Northern Virginia, USA
Quote:

Sounds like a party...
Always wanted to visit Salem.

Aye; my hubby and I have it on our list of places to go visit to look @ the archetecture/historic areas, along w/ New Orleans... not to mention there's some shops there (in both places) where you can find gems hidden amongst the normal tourist trash
We've about exhausted the Metro DC area lol

#92028 - 04/20/05 03:05 PM Re: blender and rum [Re: Ceallach]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Magister

>>Aye; my hubby and I have it on our list of places to go
>>visit to look @ the archetecture/historic areas,

My advice: come here anytime of the year EXCEPT around Halloween. So many people insist that they want to go there for Halloween, but that's what creates the problem. Waaaay to many people there at once. Most of the stuff to see there is open year round anyway.

#92029 - 04/20/05 03:36 PM Re: blender and rum [Re: Bill_M]
Ceallach Offline

Loc: Northern Virginia, USA
Quote:

My advice: come here anytime of the year EXCEPT around Halloween. So many people insist that they want to go there for Halloween, but that's what creates the problem. Waaaay to many people there at once. Most of the stuff to see there is open year round anyway.

Oh; absolutely!!! Never go near Salem during Haloween, never go near New Orleans during Mardi Gras; we know that all too well LOL
We dont' tend to go to the Capital, etc during 4th of July. Vet's Day, etc etc; it's just too packed and I think you miss out on things in the shuffle.

#92030 - 04/21/05 11:12 AM Summertime TIKI to Autumn Pumpkins! Let the season begin! [Re: Ceallach]
Krowklaws Offline
CoS Warlock

Well, if you do come to Salem in October let me know in advance and if I can I will take you around Witch City. The art of navigating in October is to know all the "Squirrel paths" to get you from point a to point b quickly and get on the good side of the door people that organize crowd control. The trick is not when you go, but WHO you KNOW.
Ever watch Lemmings run? Well there you have it, a prime example of the herd!
If you want to enjoy the dark carnival known to take place every October in Salem all you have to do is make friends with the door people and follow the "Squirrel Paths" staying away from the infamous red line at all costs!
To those I chat with here, if you travel to Salem this summer let me know, I will torch up TIKI lamps, get the Martin Denny music going, and prepare a Blue Hawaii for you to enjoy by the pool with me.

We will have a wicked good time!
Infernally Yours,
Krow

#92031 - 04/21/05 11:23 AM Re: Summertime TIKI to Autumn Pumpkins! Let the season begin [Re: Krowklaws]
crystalclear Offline

CoS Member

Loc: VA
Hmmm, Singapore Slings, Blue Hawaii? Salem is sounding better all the time Krowklaws! A friend of mine here in NY. loves tikis, and every year has a party with a tiki theme. One of his 'stipulations' though, is for everyone to dance shirtless with a tiki! Luckily I have been excused from the dance! Not much for public showing and sharing!

Hail Satan!

"The important thing is not what they think of me, but what I think of them" Queen Victoria

#92032 - 04/21/05 12:13 PM Re: Tiki! [Re: Krowklaws]
bianca Offline

Loc: Right where I should be.
Quote:

........ and every guest leaves with a wearable ceramic TIKI shot glass.

I'm intrigued.....how DOES one wear the all-powerful shot glass? Ah, let me count the ways
B

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Forum Stats
12253 Members
73 Forums
44034 Topics
406357 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements