Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#98841 - 05/11/05 03:04 PM Re: DEEP SATANISM [Re: Svengali]
Jack_Bauer Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Germany
Wow! And some people tell me I'd approach reading a book too seriously.

I literally study a book in all its aspects and (metaphorically) pluck it to pieces, if I think it's worth it.

Your exposition is excellent advice, Reverend Svengali!

#98842 - 05/11/05 07:56 PM Re: DEEP SATANISM [Re: Svengali]
Huit Offline

Loc: Toronto, ON
The idea behind public schooling these days is not so much to educate youth, but to keep them busy for a few years until they're old enough to work without violating those pesky child labour laws. Being incarcerated in one of these institutions myself, I agree with everything that has been said here so far. In my four years of high school I can count on one hand the number of courses I've taken that I have actually enjoyed, and these (anthropology, psychology, sociology, and philosophy) are what I'll be studying in university next year. Its surprising how many of my peers simply want to graduate, go to a good school, get a fancy-sounding degree and jump into a miserable life of 9-5 and primetime TV. Most kids are more concerned about their GPAs than about actually learning anything. I think the mindset of my generation can be heard in the collective groan that comes when a teacher announces that we will be reading Shakespeare, poetry, greek philosophy, hell, anything.

#98843 - 05/11/05 08:09 PM Re: DEEP SATANISM [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
Huit Offline

Loc: Toronto, ON
I find people's unwillingness to travel surprising. Some of my best experiences have been when I have visited other countries and continents. I've been to Paris, Madrid, Toledo, Cordoba, and across Costa Rica, and I would jump at a chance to go back to any of them. Its entertaining to see the look on someone's face when they are talking about the Mona Lisa or some other famous artwork and you say "Oh, yes I've seen it." I just can't see how the masses can bear to sit around and not even think about visiting the outside world.

#98844 - 05/11/05 08:20 PM Re: DEEP SATANISM [Re: Svengali]
Unknown Offline
Unknown

I remember sitting on the school bus thinking to myself, here we are sitting on the bus getting shipped to the factory so they can mold us into the secular society they desire us to be.

I have always learned more spending time doing things I enjoy. Reading books I like and studying the things in Life that are important to me for my success.

I suppose the public schools serve to keep those who are servents below us who are rulers.

I look forward to applying these principles Rev. Svengali in a far more in depth matter. Thank you for sharing this wisdom.

#98845 - 05/11/05 09:47 PM Re: DEEP SATANISM [Re: Unknown]
Kenose Offline

The problem with school ... is the fear to teach anything useful to children, due to that they are children unable to decide for themselves what yet they are actually interested in... and the fact that our society consists of many different cultures and beleifs all fighting for their own two cents worth to be hammered into the minds of the child, that in the end you basically goto a school and come out with very basic ideas taught/shown to you, a very watered down approach so as to not upset parents of different beleifs.

Of course all we end up getting are students with no passion for anything, and the ones with any passion have to suffer through the mundane and pursue their interests outside the public school system.

Oh yea... forgot to add ... and the parents often let television and video games raise their children after school... so what do you end up with ? ... only takes one look around to see the results.

Edited by Blacklodgearts (05/11/05 09:49 PM)

#98846 - 05/11/05 11:01 PM Re: DEEP SATANISM [Re: Kenose]
IronCrafter Offline

Loc: A Harsh Reality ,Wa USA
Quote:

so what do you end up with ? ... only takes one look around to see the results.

What's to be expected when you have a medium that changes focus every 15 to 20 seconds. People with the attention span of a gnat,and who are best suited to flipping hamburgers in fast food joints.

Edited by IronCrafter (05/11/05 11:02 PM)
"Life is an objective-achieve it." "Be who you are and say what you feel,because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr Suess My home page featuring my work can be found here. HS! Crafter

#98847 - 05/12/05 01:02 AM Re: DEEP SATANISM [Re: Svengali]
Satanya Offline
Banned

Thank you for posting this. It was quite generous of you to break it down that easily for everybody. I´ll be sure to pick up the titles you mentioned and read them accordingly. When I like a book I do strip it down usually by underlining important passages and further studying all sources they appoint but I´ve never stripped any of them down to these extents -- I definitely should though as in fact I will from now on. I just despise people who refuse to educate themselves yet insist on having an opinion. You touched on many very important facts in this thread.

#98848 - 05/12/05 07:59 AM Re: DEEP SATANISM [Re: Maya]
G X B Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Florida
On the contrary, you DID say you just realized it. Reread your post. While I'm not going to monotonously banter about this, I will say that my avatar is indeed disturbing...and amusing.

Replace "In God We Trust" with "Responsibility to the Responsible."

"Knowledge is long, and life is short, and he who does not know, does not live." -Baltasar Gracian, The Art of Worldly Wisdom

MySpace | The Third Side Conservative | Undercroft

#98849 - 05/12/05 01:57 PM Re: DEEP SATANISM [Re: G X B]
Maya Offline
CoS Member

Loc: New England
Quote:

On the contrary, you DID say you just realized it. Reread your post. While I'm not going to monotonously banter about this, I will say that my avatar is indeed disturbing...and amusing.

Why are we still talking about this? If you want to pick a fight with me, that's fine, but this thread is not the place to do it. While I cannot say for sure, I would think that everyone would rather discuss Reverend Svengali's post than watch you nitpick my choice of words.

I really don't wish to continue this argument. You can find fault with my wording all you want. You can make a list, for all I care, as long as you read it to yourself and leave me the hell out of it.

#98850 - 05/12/05 02:02 PM Re: DEEP SATANISM [Re: Maya]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Florida, U.S.A.
Quote:

Why are we still talking about this? If you want to pick a fight with me, that's fine, but this thread is not the place to do it.

Indeed.
"As for wars, well, there's only been 268 years out of the last 3421 in which there were no wars. So war, too, is in the normal course of events." -- Will Durant.
"Satanism is the worship of life, not a hypocritical, whitewashed vision of life, but life as it really is." -- Anton Szandor LaVey
“A membership ticket in this party does not confer genius on the holder.” -- Benito Mussolini
MY BOOK: ESSAYS IN SATANISM | MY BLOG: COSMODROMIUM | Deep Satanism Blog

#98851 - 05/12/05 08:50 PM Re: DEEP SATANISM [Re: Svengali]
toad Offline

CoS Member

Loc: texas
The Trivium method of teaching is very interesting to me, and I appreciate all you have, and will have, to say on the subject. I was wondering though if there are any books that deal with the Trivium method of teaching specifically that you could recommend. I have my weekly bookstore trip this Saturday, and I would like to have a nice list of books to buy instead of the usual browsing until something catches my attention.
Toad

I have the power to channel my imagination into ever-soaring levels of suspicion and paranoia.

#98852 - 05/13/05 11:47 AM Re: DEEP SATANISM [Re: toad]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

There is a two volume translation of Martianus Capella’s “The Seven Liberal Arts” from Cambridge University Press, but it is archaic and probably only of interest if you are specifically interested in how it was presented in the Middle Ages.

Really, one of the best texts on the APPLIED idea of the Trivium/Quadrivium is the Dorothy Sayers article I linked to above. The Sayers article was capsulated in Susan Wise Bauer’s THE WELL-EDUCATED MIND, which is not a bad book, but I wouldn’t place it on the “A” list. The Sayers article is better, it delivers everything you would need concerning the CONCEPTS.

As an expansion of the concepts, at the very least I would recommend;

BEING LOGICAL by McInerny or THE PHILOSPHER’S TOOLKIT by Bagini & Fosl
HOW TO READ A BOOK by Adler & VanDoren
A GUIDEBOOK TO LEARNING by Adler
LIFETIME READING PLAN by Fadiman - this is much better than the Baur book mentioned above.

The books by Adler and Fadiman can usually be found second hand for a pittance.

I may not follow up on the above posts here – the next installment has expanded beyond proportion and there are at least three more installments after that – these and the above posts are being integrated into a full-length article for the CoS website and/or the first DIGEST edition of THE BLACK FLAME.

I may still post condensed installments.

Thank you for the interest.
"As for wars, well, there's only been 268 years out of the last 3421 in which there were no wars. So war, too, is in the normal course of events." -- Will Durant.
"Satanism is the worship of life, not a hypocritical, whitewashed vision of life, but life as it really is." -- Anton Szandor LaVey
“A membership ticket in this party does not confer genius on the holder.” -- Benito Mussolini

#98853 - 05/13/05 12:01 PM Re: DEEP SATANISM [Re: Svengali]
Remorazz Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
No sir,

Thank you for your mind expanding insights.

Thank You sir.

HS! G We have wasted far too much time explaining that Satanism has nothing to do with kidnapping, drug abuse, child molestation, animal or child sacrifice , or any number of other acts that idiots, hysterics or opportunists would like to credit us with. By Anton Szandor LaVey ©1988 PENTAGONAL REVISIONISM: A FIVE-POINT PROGRAM ~Special Thanks to: Agent Jack Malebranche for his permission to use his art in my avatar.~ SETI Combat Camera Cool Products

#98854 - 05/13/05 12:12 PM Re: DEEP SATANISM [Re: Svengali]
Ortrud Offline
CoS Member

Loc: NYC
Thank you, Sir!

Your post gave me a much needed shot in the ass, as I have been "coasting" for awhile, not reading, not growing in my understanding of Satanism. I'm inspired to get back to the books.

Hail Satan!
Ortrud

#98855 - 05/13/05 01:24 PM Re: DEEP SATANISM [Re: Svengali]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

REMEMBER:

Satanic Sin #1 is STUPIDITY.
Pentagonal Revisionism Point #1 is STRATIFICATION.

…. do the “math.”

I’ll feed back on any developments of this thread, which could productively turn to a discussion of other BOOKS that provide big “bang for the buck” in terms of general education.

Edited by Svengali (05/13/05 03:42 PM)

Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Forum Stats
12199 Members
73 Forums
43979 Topics
406036 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements