Topic Options
#99237 - 05/11/05 01:19 AM Transcendental Illusion
Michael225 Offline

Kant's Transcendental Illusion can be summed up in that "Reality Only Exists in the Mind". (There's a bit more to it but that will serve my purposes here). I see this tying in closely with the practice of ritual...If you can cement it in your mind, it will become reality.

I have never attempted or participated in a ritual before as outlined in The Satanic Bible. Previously I never saw the need, but through study of TSB it has become clear to me the benefits of such practices on one's psyche. It is a release of pent up emotion, a physical representation of a want or desire, ritual makes tangible that which is intangible. It helps focus your mind so that you can create your own reality.

Then it dawned on me that I do perform rituals, just not with the prescribed psycho-drama of TSB. I write, play music, draw and watch movies. I also produce my own films, what greater psycho-drama than months upon months of story-telling and creating fantasy worlds!

Any artistic skill I may or may not have I think I was taking for granted. It occured to me that not everyone who has similar emotions has these same outlets for their creativity. Where-as I could sit down and compose a song, others might find that difficult, if not impossible, but find similar relief/self-expression from more conventional ritual practice.

I am not yet a card carrying member of the CoS and do not have access to Grottoes or Group rituals. If my thoughts on ritual are correct I would like to participate in them someday...I would be interested to know how others feel about the practice of ritual as well.

All the Best,
Michael

ps. I am also very interested in Semiotics, specifically as it purtains to Satanic symbols. The CoS website had excellent info on the Sigil of Baphomet, does anyone know of any good books/websites dedicated to Satanic and Occult symbols, their meanings and origins?

Many Thanx.

#99238 - 05/11/05 01:39 AM Re: Transcendental Illusion [Re: Michael225]
Maya Offline
CoS Member

Loc: New England
Quote:

I would be interested to know how others feel about the practice of ritual as well.

Personally, I enjoy rituals very much. Aside from the practical value, there is the psychological and emotional value. The ritual chamber is my place to get everything out, in addition to working my will. The emotional value, I feel, depends on the individual. Some are more into the dogmatic psychodrama than others. Rituals demand a healthy imagination, and I find that those who have a more active imagination, those better able to indulge in self-aware fantasy, are those that enjoy rituals the most and ultimately are the ones most successful with them. Of course, I am of the opinion that every real Satanist possesses at least a decent imagination. This is open to debate, though.

#99239 - 05/11/05 07:30 AM Re: Transcendental Illusion [Re: Michael225]
IronCrafter Offline

Loc: A Harsh Reality ,Wa USA
I have used compassion rituals to help me not just to vent,but to focus my mind on day to day objectives.

I find that they leave a powerful imprint on my mind that helps to keep me on my chosen path, should I begin to deviate from it.
"Life is an objective-achieve it." "Be who you are and say what you feel,because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr Suess My home page featuring my work can be found here. HS! Crafter

#99240 - 05/11/05 09:58 AM Re: Transcendental Illusion [Re: Michael225]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: New England, USA
>>Then it dawned on me that I do perform rituals, just not
>>with the prescribed psycho-drama of TSB. I write, play
>>music, draw and watch movies.

Actually, there are plenty of Satanists who do these types of things and likewise recognize them, at least in part, as their fantasy or ritualistic release. Likewise, Satanists who don't find an easy release through creating art or what not, or perhaps live or work in a very conservative environment where personal aesthetic expression is very limited, are often the ones who visit the ritual chamber more frequently.

>>If my thoughts on ritual are correct I would like to
>>participate in them someday...

I'd say you're right on the money. As for formalized ritual itself, personally I strongly encourage every Satanist to perform the standard Satanic ritual at least once in their life time. Obviously, Satanists should never "force" themselves to do organized ritual when they don't feel like doing it. But the practice of using the intellectual decompression chamber take up the entire second half of our "Bible", so it obviously has some significance to the religion.

I see some Satanists trying to make excuses not to do it. "I don't have a gong", "I'd feel silly standing there reciting an invocation", "I don't have the time and place". A lot of them, I think, simply don't have the discipline and patience or organize a ceremony and carry it through. But corners can be cut if they have to be (leaving out the phallus, using an extended arm instead of a sword, subsituting the gong for the bell or vice versa, etc.) Sometimes the people most reluctant to do it are unknowingly setting themselves up quite an emotional release once they finally perform their first ritual.

>>does anyone know of any good books/websites dedicated to
>>Satanic and Occult symbols, their meanings and origins?

Although it isn't an in-depth source, Symbols.com is a great place to look up the meaning of certain symbols and their variations.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's ‹bersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#99241 - 05/11/05 10:15 AM -Maya [Re: Maya]
Michael225 Offline

Wow great quotes in your signature Maya. I just recently watched the Silver Edition Marx Bros boxset, most of the films I had already seen, some damn fine films. Likewise I am also reading Nietzsche's basic writings.

Kudos to you for good taste.

-Mike

#99242 - 05/11/05 10:17 AM Re: Transcendental Illusion [Re: Bill_M]
Michael225 Offline

Bill,
That symbols site is pretty good, thank you very much.

#99243 - 05/11/05 11:35 AM Off topic (Marx Bros DVD set) [Re: Michael225]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: New England, USA
>>I just recently watched the Silver Edition Marx Bros
>>boxset,

I was glad to see those movies on DVD again (I had the set pre-ordered on Amazon.com months in advance), without having to buy them as Brazilian imports or for hundreds of dollars on Ebay. You just don't find multi-talented comeidans like that these days. But I'm a little disappointed that Paramount didn't seem to put much effort into this set. The transfer wasn't that much better than VHS, and they could have easily fit the bonus material on one of the other discs. I think they rushed putting this together, probably in reaction to the DVD box that was put out by MGM which contained the later movies, who I thought did a great job.

"We took pictures of the native girls, but they weren't developed. So we're going back to..." - Groucho Marx

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's ‹bersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#99244 - 05/11/05 12:40 PM Re: Off topic (Marx Bros DVD set) [Re: Bill_M]
Michael225 Offline

I agree, the special features disc was indredibly lame. Only 3 short interviews and nothing overly remarkable. I'll have to check out that other boxset with the later films, I don't think I have seen any of them either.

#99245 - 05/11/05 02:04 PM Re: Transcendental Illusion [Re: Michael225]
Insurgent Offline
CoS Witch

"Kant's Transcendental Illusion can be summed up in that "Reality Only Exists in the Mind". (There's a bit more to it but that will serve my purposes here). I see this tying in closely with the practice of ritual...If you can cement it in your mind, it will become reality."

With all the delusional people out there that believe in their own bullshit very passionately, people that put a lot of energy and time into that delusion and bullshit, I don't see what is cemented in their mind and what is reality having any connections.

The rest of your post, however, I agree with entirely. Nicely expressed.

"My dear Insurgent you're an extremist, intolerant and you have prejudices. That's all."

"I am a fucking Satanist and desire in all of my being to be the Queen of the World if at all possible...."

#99246 - 05/11/05 04:07 PM Re: Transcendental Illusion [Re: Insurgent]
Michael225 Offline

Transcendental Illusion has quite a bit more to it than my short blurb. It isn't about buying your own bullshit so much as how the nature of reality exists in one's head.

Check it out on Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/det...=books&n=507846

It's a great book if you get a chance to check it out.

-Michael

#99247 - 05/11/05 06:00 PM Re: Transcendental Illusion [Re: Michael225]
Unknown Offline
Unknown

I think you hit the nail right on the head.

It's always important to put your pent up energy to use. There's no point is wasting energy and being a vegetable. Dr. LaVey certainly supported positive thinking, which falls in line perfectly with total eviroments. He also supported action to release these thoughts to bring forth your energy into the real world.

By the way, you might find participating in a ritual solitude may be the best way to begin. You can familiarize yourself with the tools and invocations you decide to use at that appointed time. It depends upon your own personal agendas and goals.

I think something you might like doing is exercising your art into creating your own symbols. I don't know if you tried this yet but if you haven't I'm sure you'd enjoy the results.

Thanks for your insights.

#99248 - 05/11/05 07:45 PM Re: Transcendental Illusion [Re: Unknown]
Michael225 Offline

It's funny that you mention creating my own symbol. The other day driving home I was thinking about that and came up with a few ideas for plutonic love, romantic love and hatred.

I think I will persue this, thank you very much for the input.

-Michael

Forum Stats
13268 Members
73 Forums
44506 Topics
407689 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 04:49 AM
Advertisements

hold