Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#486671 - 02/19/13 03:44 PM Re: Antiheroes [Re: StabAvery]
Callier Offline

CoS Warlock

I also had Tony Montana in mind. But for my hip-hop loving black ass it would've been a little cliched.

But since I watched 'The Crow' the other night I'll mention Eric Draven. He didn't really care for the heavy crime rate in his city. The ones responsible for it were also behind the deaths of himself and his fiancée. And for that alone he wanted all of them to pay!

#486674 - 02/19/13 05:19 PM Re: Antiheroes [Re: Emilio Largo]
Emilio Largo Offline
CoS Member

There's a book that doesn't exist, as far as I can tell, but needs to, because I want to read it, and I have good taste, damn it. Its title is Petty Thieves and it's a collection of short stories whose protagonists are all - what else? Petty thieves. The stories run the gamut. Suspense thrillers, love stories, farces, gothic horror, urban fantasies, steampunk, noir, mainstream drama. I can't believe it doesn't exist. I fully expected to find it when I went googling for it. I smell a conspiracy. Cthulhu's cultists, perhaps. For nothing could so inconvenience the Elder Gods as a mortal proficient at purloining ancient manuscripts and talismans - and so it would be unwise to let these talking apes get ideas.

#486695 - 02/20/13 12:43 AM Re: Antiheroes [Re: Bill_M]
verszou Offline

Loc: Denmark
Originally Posted By: Bill_M
How about a whole race of antiheroes?

Great book and movie, I really loved it back in the day.

Another figure from around that time-period is John Constantine. He started out in a smaller role in Swamp Thing, but ended up having his own series in Hellblazer (and a movie that wasn't as bad as I feared it would be, but still ...)

Constantine is always scheming, playing different sides against each other (at one point he sells his soul to different princes of hell so that none of them dares to take him because it would cause problems with the others).

He does occasionally save the world, but you always get the feeling that it's something he does because it's better for him to have it stick around. On the other hand, when he tries to help out old friends, have a relationship and so on, he often causes more harm than good to those he gets involved with.

#486726 - 02/20/13 04:41 PM Re: Antiheroes [Re: Emilio Largo]
Emilio Largo Offline
CoS Member

So now I'm looking for books about assassins qua assassins; I.e., not characters who used to be assassins but aren't any more, or who normally spend their time as assassins but suddenly get swept up in some adventure to save the world, but assassins assassinating. I found this, and it was free on Kindle, so I grabbed it:

Night of the Assassin by Russell Blake

Anybody know any others?

#486728 - 02/20/13 05:49 PM Re: Antiheroes [Re: Emilio Largo]
Callier Offline

CoS Warlock

Okay man. I think you need to chill and put the gun down now. You got your villains. You got your anti-heroes. And now you're on some assassin shit. What's next? Serial killers?

You were on to a good start but I think you're getting a little carried away here. This is a board about Satanism. The masses already have presumptions about us being a bunch of whacked out psycho criminals. I don't have a problem discussing villains and stuff like that but the direction you're going with it is better left discussing within our members only forum.

I'm not speaking for the Church of Satan here. These are mainly my personal opinions on the matter.

#486732 - 02/20/13 07:39 PM Re: Antiheroes [Re: Callier]
Emilio Largo Offline
CoS Member

Originally Posted By: Callier
Okay man. I think you need to chill and put the gun down now. You got your villains. You got your anti-heroes. And now you're on some assassin shit. What's next? Serial killers?

I had one of them too. Dexter. skull

OK. I was largely done with the two threads any way. I enjoyed them and I hope others did too.

#486739 - 02/20/13 11:02 PM Re: Antiheroes [Re: Emilio Largo]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: A Trailer Park
Originally Posted By: Emilio Largo
Originally Posted By: Callier

I had one of them too. Dexter. skull

OK. I was largely done with the two threads any way. I enjoyed them and I hope others did too.

Callier makes a great point. Things in the public forum can so easily be taken out of context. I really enjoyed this subject though so, briefly...

I think you're probably looking for fiction but I have to recommend Ice Man: Confessions of a Mafia Contract Killer by Philip Carlo. Richard Kuklinski is one of the most intriguing sociopaths I can think of, right up there with Ian Brady. He had a code (of sorts), a natural proclivity for violence which he channeled into a career and a weird kind of charisma that makes him, in my book, one of the closest real-life Dexters ever.
"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us – all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

We're Just Regular People

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Forum Stats
12160 Members
73 Forums
43920 Topics
405742 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements