Lucifer Rising: A book of Sin, Devil Worship and Rock n Roll

Officially:

Baddeley, Gavin. Lucifer Rising: a book of sin, devil worship and rock n roll. London: Plexus, 1999.

I bought this book from a music store in my city, which has a book section. I also got my copy of The Satanic Bible, The Satanic Witch, The Satanic Rituals, The Big Fat One Coop Sketchbook and countless musical items there. I have not seen this item available on the CoS Emporium or any Satanic-specific online stores.

Before I start I will mention similarities between this book and Lords of Chaos: The Bloody Rise of the Satanic Metal Underground, by Michael Moynihan and Didrik Sderland. Both books discuss Satanism and metal music. The main differences are that Lords of Chaos looks specifically at everything that relates to black metal and happens to include details about some of the core black-metallers were devil-worshippers. In contrast Lucifer Rising looks at Satanism in all forms (herein more correctly described as Satanism and forms of devil-worship) in relation to music.

I found this to be one of the most interesting books I have ever read. It covers in detail how Satanism and certain forms of devil-worship initially emerged and then flourished within the metal and extreme music scenes. Lucifer Rising traces the steps of metal pioneers and illustrates exactly how satanic imagery was assimilated into heavy music through key bands, individuals and certain iconic albums. Gavin Baddeley is a competent and fluent Satanic author who never once confuses the word Satanist with the term devil-worshiper. The result is an intensely enjoyable and informative book that you will no doubt attempt to devour over night only to find it is much too big!

Interwoven with the text of the book are extensive interviews, some lasting pages at a time. You will read interviews with LaVey, Coop, Magister Gilmore, Count Grishnackh, Cronos of Venom, Diabolus Rex, King Diamond, Boyd Rice, Blanche Barton, Andrea Meyer, Vincent Crowley of Acheron, Euronymous, Glenn Danzig, Thomas Thorn of the Electric Hellfire Club, Glen Benton of Deicide, Paul Douglas Valentine and Kenneth Anger among many more. Each interview is in depth, frank and to the point. Baddeley gets fascinating answers every time. LaVey is interviewed more than once and is asked about issues, which havent been covered in other material that I have found.

Satanism and devil-worship are both given an opportunity to speak. Baddeley mentions more significant devil-worship movements in greater detail over the more temporary and less serious ones. The Church of Satan and its members are given a large amount of space to express their views, but at the same time people who have shot off from the Church of Satan and created their own movements have also got their own sections. There are also many lesser-known devil-worshipping leaders (who took their beliefs seriously and had followings) who get a chance to be interviewed and have their philosophies expressed. There is also a discussion on occultists and Alistair Crowley, and how they influenced early metal to become interested in the arcane.

One would not have been convinced that the author is a Priest in the Church of Satan had the blurb not stated it. The author did not glamorise the Church of Satans philosophy over devil-worship and its forms. Since the author did not attempt to make Satanism look good, a larger audience can read the book without being preached to. I feel confident in saying that this book should be made available to anyone who wants to know about this topic because it is purely objective.

This book really contributes to the world with its objective summation of Satanism and devil worship in the context of metal and extreme music.

The book itself is incredible quality. I estimate there would be no more than half a dozen pages in this book that does not contain quality black and white photographs relevant to the text. There are nifty devilish watermarks on all pages, and the fonts and headings are all stylistically evil looking. This hardback book is about 2 centimetres thick and weighs in at around 240 pages. In other words this book is a substantial read on its subject matter. You will be pleasantly surprised with the pictures and glad to hear that they only augment the text and dont compensate for it.

A quick note on the bibliography contained at the end of the book. This biography summarised all the relevant Satanic books anyone could want to read to date! The books are listed under topic headings such as The Church of Satan, Satanic Cinema, Historical Background, The Third Reich and Satanic Crime.

At US$16.95 or UK12.99 I highly recommend this book. I paid AUD$50 for mine and was completely satisfied with what I received in terms of quality, content and originality (that is, it actually contributed to my knowledge on both topics; it didnt just restate it).

Matt