I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that I'm younger than you.

I grew up on caffeine, movies filled with explosions, and shitty music, and I thought Speak of the Devil was excellent. It was the first time I ever got to actually see full video sequences of Doktor LaVey in my life. Reading a book is one thing, but once you see and hear the man who wrote it it changes how you read the book.

His keyboard playing is the shit. Don't talk shit about it. Being a drummer, I was beaming when he referred to drums as being musical instruments, and that he didn't use that term lightly. It completely changed my approach to the instrument.

There's a lot of stuff I enjoy that older members would probably say is crap, it's called ECI. But if you have genuine interest in how things developed, and why they are important to you, you will appreciate those who have come before.

You will know the older musicians, like Doktor LaVey, and at the very least appreciate them.

Technically that's all you have to do to be on the right track. But I go further. The pieces he played in that sequence were excellent to say the least, and it was not long enough. I aspire to be the best I can be, which includes adopting role models such as Doktor LaVey.

There are those who would say that this kind of attitude is what makes people think the CoS is a cult of personality. I say those people are retards. The man deserves respect.

HS!

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house." --George Carlin, Playin' With Your Head

"[There is] no contradiction between saying 'evolution has no purpose' and 'organisms have purposes'; just different vocabularies for different levels of description." --Sean Carroll