Originally Posted By: ConquerOrPerish
What do you think the difference is between Satanists and everyone else?

Everyone else hates each other, especially those who aren't in communities. Everyone else believes or at least acts like they're their own god. Everyone else is a loner. Everyone else strives for perfection.

To me the reason why Satanism is important and new is:

-We don't believe in the golden rule.

-We don't believe in forgiveness. Another blatant difference.

-We're selfish. We're not people pleasers.

-We're misanthropes for the most part but misanthropes don't have lives and we do.

Another one for me as a Satanist is that I don't believe in being assertive. Assertiveness is the worst of both worlds. You're responding so you care what the person thinks and you're being mature which shit disturbers love. I choose the silent treatment because it's worse than being aggressive according to psychology. Besides there is always someone more aggressive than you and it turns into a never ending war. But I can be as silent as a mouse. And if it's not war like that's fine, that's peace.

There are many other differences to me like no race obsession, no body image issues, new fangled feminism, etc.

I can't speak for everyone, but personally I am quite different from these bullet points. I also think that when it comes to assertiveness, it's very situational - at least for me it is.

If I feel I need to step up and address whatever issue is hovering, I will absolutely make it a point to do so. If, on the other hand, I feel the situation would be better diffused, I certainly can remain silent. It isn't one path or another, but rather choosing which of my options suites me (and the ordeal) best.

In the area if misanthropy, I am quite the opposite! I don't have a hatred toward people at all. I, in fact, find anthropology to be fascinating! I enjoy learning the lives and cultures of others. I absolutely disagree with the way people may live/think, but I don't hate them for it. My hatred in people is also situational and individualized - it all depends on the crime, per se.

Although I am selfish, and materialistic... and we'll add vain and self-sufficient for argument's sake... I do enjoy pleasing others, if they are deserving of my time and effort. I do a lot of work with a children's charity, and it gives ME great pleasure to improve the lives (even if it only means providing a friendly face) of them. I also take pride in doing a whole lot to give those in my close circle something to smile over. So, again, situational.

I express forgiveness all the time!! I think that's human nature. Alas, another thing that depends on the circumstances. I won't get into specific examples, but there are some unworthy of my forgiveness - and they shall never receive it. Others, I'll consider their error as "water under the bridge", so to speak.

And finally, the golden rule. I disbelieve in the traditional golden rule, but very much live by (and advise) the golden rule presented by Dr. LaVey! With the old spin on it, I tell people "treat others exactly as they treat you!"

So, ending this: I think that in many ways I am like everyone else, but in many ways I am very different from the rest of society. I am quite alright with that! Christians are as Christians, Muslims as Muslims, Jewish as Jewish, ect. Sometimes people blend into multiple categories (Satanists and many Atheists imo), and some people only fit into their own section. I consider myself a Satanist, but that doesn't mean that I am the same as every other Satanist who has ever walked this earth. Things that are one way to me, may be different to another. I may choose to forgive something that another could never overlook. We live by the same philosophy, but we're different people with different tastes.

I don't believe I can lay down any more of an answer to your specific question than as I did. Hopefully my response gives some insight into the life of a fellow, and different from yourself, Satanist.

I am curious, based on your assertive/aggressive statements, do you consider yourself to be "passive" or do you have another term ? smile

"If I had a dime for every time a homeless man asked me for change... I'd still say 'no'."
- Bo Burnham