Yes, I have, many times! I loved it! In tone, though, it's kind of the opposite of Corpse. While Sachs is reserved and respectful, Roach has a much more pointed gallows' humor and cheeky approach. If one finds that sort of attitude upsetting, I'd skip this book.

Roach wrote another book that may be closer to what Light Angel was asking for called Spook. It's about ghost-hunting and the search for the human soul and whatnot. A subject I have mixed emotions about. I think the scientific quest for this knowledge is fascinating and, of course, love a good mystery. But, at the same time, it seems to easily blur into quackery.

Maybe not "exploitative" by legal standards, some of this stuff clearly preys on the heart strings of people who have suffered terrible loss. When I see parents who've lost a child, for example, go after the Great Beyond with a dogged determination and unwavering faith that rivals the most rabid religious zealot it is clearly costing them more than their retirement fund. It's costing them quality of life. Certainly their prerogative and none of my business really but I do think it's sad. Caveat emptor.
"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us – all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

We're Just Regular People