Originally Posted By: AdamBomb
Doing unto others as they have done unto you is not a bad philosophy.

No, it's not. It's also not Christian, is it? I thought the infamous quote was about treating others the same way you want to be treated not about how you are treated ("do unto others as you would have them do unto you"). Your twist is a lot closer to Satanic kind of reciprocity. Reminds me of this:

"Revenge is an act of style. For all practical matters, no one is known to come back from the dead after being avenged in the name of justice. However so, man can fight anything but his nature. An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth will forever make better grammatical balance than turning the other cheek." ~ Bunraku

Originally Posted By: AdamBomb
I keep a very polite attitude at all times and expect the same of everyone else to do so to me.

I think it does reflect well on people when they can maintain their composure in any situation. It would be awesome if civility were the universal default and people weren't jerks 99.9% of the time. Having certain standards can help you choose who you spend time with but I think expecting... well, anything from people is a good way to give yourself a headache. You may as well just beat your head against a brick wall.

Re: dealing with jerks. Context, yadda yadda, it's going to depend on the situation, on the circumstances. We all know that. So, in general...

When I feel like flattering myself I tell people I've mellowed with age. It's a total lie. I still have a bad temper. My threshold may be a lot higher but I still have a short fuse. Nowadays, though, how I respond to a situation has more to do with whether or not I have the energy.

I usually don't. I don't want to deal with the continued drama and aggravation; it's too tedious and I can only take so much Tylenol. I prefer things simple and quiet. I try to figure out how long something is liable to give me a headache before I start what can't be easily stopped. But when I choose to start something, I own it. No one "makes me" react the way I do. I don't get to decide how people are going to treat me but I can decide what I do about it.
"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

I Live In A Trailer Park