Quote:
Poor, uneducated people remain poor and uneducated because the education system relies on local tax income in order to fund schools.

I certainly agree that this dilemma undercuts the future of those poor students who want to better themselves. Unfortunately, in many areas, such as in my state, most of those underprivileged little bastards have no intention of learning, bring weapons to school, and steal and vandalize on every chance they can. They are only forced to attend school because their parents see school as free day care. Is this where my tax dollars are going?

Quote:
However, I was fortunate enough to go to a school that was fed by families, of which 95% were much wealthier than mine. I graduated at the top of my class, and as far as I know I'm the only one about to attain a PhD.

I am very much in favor of students with high I.Q.s to be given the chance to excel in education and land higher paying jobs. This is why I am also in favor of chartered schools -- free public schools that offer higher quality classes but at the same time have much higher standards for acceptance. However, parents with children of lower to average intelligence are still going to argue that their kids should also enjoy the same benefits and opportunities offered by chartered schools since their taxes are paying for chartered schools as well. They would contend that poor smart kids should pay to go to private schools!

So there really is no easy answer for any of this.

"Anyone without a sense of humor is too pretentious to be a good magician."
-- Anton Szandor LaVey

Life Everlasting

World Without End