Rarely are half measures adequate, and nowhere is this more the case than with misanthropy, I think. A jaundiced eye for people who are on welfare, but not for people who aren't - or, alternatively, a jaundiced eye for people who begrudge the temporarily downtrodden the help of welfare, but not for people who don't, and not for the temporarily downtrodden themselves. A jaundiced eye for Democrats but not for Republicans, perhaps, or vice versa. A jaundiced eye for the mindless drones at their desks, but not for the captains of industry, those Ubermenschen - or, alternatively, a jaundiced eye for the ruthless exploiters at the top of the pyramid, but not for the proletariat, who do the work and produce the thing sold.

But now I'm starting to drift afield from the original post, into saying things like, a jaundiced eye for non-whites taking jobs or taking welfare, but not for whites, who deserve the jobs because capitalism originated in white culture - or, alternatively, a jaundiced eye for whites, who slaughtered or displaced any aboriginal inhabitants who had the bad luck to be in the way, or made slaves of those who had the bad luck to be near at hand and vulnerable to such a thing, but not for non-whites, who in all things have been victimized and deserve recompense.

I'll stop there, and merely suggest that misanthropy in whole cloth might smell less of hypocrisy. Humanity sucks. I'm sure the trees would agree, if they were capable of such opinions. Humanity is rotten to the core. The sole saving grace is the occasional individual whose sense of honesty, beauty and fairness dazzles us, even if only sometimes. Here and there an individual doesn't suck, or at least sometimes doesn't. But taken as a whole our species reeks of myriad corruptions. It isn't this side of the coin but not that, or that side of the coin but not this. It's the coin.